Depression

  • Thread starter Thread starter LotusCarsLtd
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LotusCarsLtd

Guest
I decided to post this here because I think it fits in this forum but also because this is my favorite forum on CAF 👍

Anyway today I feel depressed for no good reason. I have things I have to get done and there were certain plans that I had to push back but that’s not something to be depressed over. This has happened often lately, especially since the beginning of the Spring semester. Again there’s nothing really big to be depressed over but I can’t p(name removed by moderator)oint why I feel like this.

Mental issues run in my mom’s side of the family and she and my grandma both had depression but I have never been diagnosed or tested or anything. What does everyone think? I just feel sad today and activities that I usually enjoy aren’t appealing to me right now. I tried doing them to no avail. I also feel alone too even though my friends are available and stuff…and yet I feel like hiding away from the world and avoiding people altogether.

Thoughts?
 
My friend-

There is nothing wrong with admitting that you might have depression.

By all means, please talk to a doctor! In particular, if mental issues run in your family, you really should go.

I’ll pray for you.
 
My advise to do first is to go out and take a long walk. You will feel like it is not helping but by the time you get home you will feel better.

Next step is to make an appointment with a doctor that you know and tell the doctor that you are feeling depressed for no reason. Tell about your family history of depression. It does run in some families. IT RUNS IN MY FAMILY.

When I get the feeling of wanting to cry for no reason and just wanting to stay home and vegitate I know I am depressed. That is when I start taking the meds my doc prescribed for me.

Tell your doc that you are feeling super down and need a med that will bring you up into doing things in your life. You don’t need meds that put you to sleep all the time.
You may need to try different meds to find the right one for you.

Tell the doc if the meds that were prescribed for you are not working for you. We are all different in our body chemistry. I am taking prozac but it doesn’t mean it would work for you.
So… keep a record of your symtoms with the meds you get and report it to your doc.
Please don’t give up on the meds.
Mental problems are considered a medical problem. You can’t snap out of it on your own.

For some reason a lot of people become depressed during Spring time. You may just need to take the meds just during the Spring time.

It does help to see a therapist too if you have good insurance or can afford to see one.

I get the Winter Blues and have to take my meds around that time.

Remember… “God helps those who help themselves”. Depression is a serious problem.
 
"Let’s call it sickness, a desert malady. Anyone could lose perspective in that heat, weakened by hunger, thirst, and uncertainty. Yet a curious fact about illness, including depression, is that it can bring us to clarity. We value the quality of attention that comes to us when we are not well. In “I’m Not OK, You’re Not OK her review of The Noonday Demon, Joyce Carol Oates observes that “those afflicted with depression are often ambivalent about it, as no one is ambivalent about physical illness.”

Her latter assumption belies the fact that people of many faiths have experienced ailments and incapacities as a gateway to spiritual insight. But her observation about depression reflects the fact that many people are conflicted about a state in which the ploys they’ve used to color things in their favor are stripped away, and they sense that they are witnessing the world as it is. The light maybe harsher than we would like, but at least it forces us to see."

More on all of this at

payingattentiontothesky.com/2009/10/09/learning-to-dwell-in-this-desert/

Reading selections from a great book called Acedia & Me by Kathleen Norris. Check out the category for this on the right side of the site “Understanding Acedia/Sloth”

As a Catholic you may find it very helpful. Find a spiritual advisor before you take the therapist/pill route. The former is more likely to have a bigger picture and you should look at that before proceeding with the latter.

dj
 
"Let’s call it sickness, a desert malady. Anyone could lose perspective in that heat, weakened by hunger, thirst, and uncertainty. Yet a curious fact about illness, including depression, is that it can bring us to clarity. We value the quality of attention that comes to us when we are not well. In “I’m Not OK, You’re Not OK her review of The Noonday Demon, Joyce Carol Oates observes that “those afflicted with depression are often ambivalent about it, as no one is ambivalent about physical illness.”

Her latter assumption belies the fact that people of many faiths have experienced ailments and incapacities as a gateway to spiritual insight. But her observation about depression reflects the fact that many people are conflicted about a state in which the ploys they’ve used to color things in their favor are stripped away, and they sense that they are witnessing the world as it is. The light maybe harsher than we would like, but at least it forces us to see."

More on all of this at

payingattentiontothesky.com/2009/10/09/learning-to-dwell-in-this-desert/

Reading selections from a great book called Acedia & Me by Kathleen Norris. Check out the category for this on the right side of the site “Understanding Acedia/Sloth”

As a Catholic you may find it very helpful. Find a spiritual advisor before you take the therapist/pill route. The former is more likely to have a bigger picture and you should look at that before proceeding with the latter.

dj
You might have to clarify. To be honest your post has me confused.
 
Depression is nothing to play with. You do need to get checked out, the sooner the better.

I’m saying this because I went through most of my young life with out realizing I had a problem. It messed my life up! I dropped out of every thing that I started. The symptoms got worse with age till I pretty much couldn’t function. Don’t do that to yourself! If you go to a good doctor, she won’t dianose you arbitrarily.
I agree with LaLucia, about a therapist helping. Especially if you have developed traits associated with depression.
 
You might have to clarify. To be honest your post has me confused.
Simply stated, diseases of the mind are sometimes telling us things; particularly depression. The roots may be spiritual as well as chemical. A pill will solve your chemical imbalances but will never touch what is really wrong with you.The latter will require meditation, some deeper quiet thought on your part. That kind of work will provide you with insight.

There are several readings from Norris book that explain more on the site. Hope that helps but I can only guess at your confusion without you’re being more specific.

dj
 
Lotus, please listen to us who DO HAVE A DEPRESSION PROBLEM. I suffered for many years since I was a child. Nobody knew how depressed I was. All I knew that life was super hard on me. I used to live in fear of the unknown and I used to get panic attacks at the age of 16yrs.old. I became clustophobic too. For many years I SUFFERED until one day I started getting headaches in the back of my head and I went to see a doctor. He gave me some tranquillizers and in 4 days I felt better. It was a wonderful med for me. It was amazing.

As time passed I still suffered for many years until one day I went to see a therapist who told me I had post tramatic stress and a low level of bi-polar. I was given some meds that still work for me until this day.

SPIRITUALLY… GOD HAS ALWAYS BEEN WITH ME SINCE I STARTED PRAYING TO GOD SINCE I was 5 yrs. old. God is still with me and I am in GOD’S GRACE.

Many wonderful people have been ill with mental problems. Only a doctor can help you.

Please don’t listen to people who have never had that problem.
You can read many self-help books but it will not take your depression away. I tried that for many years too. It didn’t help at all.

I also have a partial vision problem and I had three surgeries in my eye to help improve my eye.
People go to see doctors when they have a physical problem but not to seek help for mental problems. They think they don’t have a problem eventhough other people can see they do have a mental problem.

There are some people who are so lucky not to have this problem… but they don’t understand at all… until they see a loved one committ suicide to stop the mental pain.

I do have a wonderful life and no reason to be depressed but when I get depressed I take my meds. I advise for you to seek a counselor and a doctor.
 
Depression issues are extremely genetic. Please consider seeing a counselor and/or a physician…

My prayers will be with you…
 
LotusCarsLtd,
You’re describing what I call the “Winter Blahs.” This time of year I get gloomy, lazy, and unmotivated. Getting some fresh air, sunlight, and physical activity usually help me to feel better.
 
Medical advice is NOT to be given nor solicited on this forum. Thank you for your cooperation.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top