Depression

• Thread starter Thread starter Kateri92
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kateri92

Is depression a form a temporal punishment? Could someone’s past sin bring on depression as a form of payback for the sin(s)?

Well, sins are sins for a reason. God doesn’t artificially appoint some things to be sins and some things to be virtuous just for their own sake. It’s mankind’s destiny to be united and consummated with God, her eternal lover. That is the meaning of life. Decisions that are counterproductive to that destiny can and will cause very real, very painful temporal harm to the soul, or permanent harm to the soul if they are made with finality at death. So it’s very much possible that a lot of your depression has to do with the blowback of these past decisions. Even if you are in a state of grace in the present, those life decisions still need to be reconciled and contended with, and they have lasting effects.

And then there’s simply mankind’s damaged nature. The entire population is born with defective behavior to some degree, and that is completely separate from any decisions they make later in life. You could pray to God for this cross to go away, but it’s unlikely he’ll consent to it, not because he’s stingy, but because our crosses are used for our sanctification. Sanctification means “to make holy”. “To be holy” means “to be the best version of yourself”. In our weakness, we are able to see that we are completely dependent on God, and that we need his Divine Aid to get through even a single breath. We become richly humble, spiritual, and wise because of the Spirit working in us. When we are strong - unless that strength is acquired through trials of fire - we become arrogantly blind to this reality, and we turn away from our destiny. Ironically, when we are strongest, that is when we are weakest.

So all in all, I doubt God is messing around with your brain and making you feel depressed as a from of punishment, since that doesn’t make sense with God’s will as it is revealed to us. If there is any punishment to be had at all, it is in the hereafter. Any suffering in this life amounts to nothing. Right now, God is interested in sanctification and discipline. Jesus Christ wants what any sensible man wants: he wants his bride to be wise, graceful, merciful, tender, faithful, and beautiful. The Father wants what any sensible father wants: he wants his children to be disciplined, humble, and appreciative, and any answered petitions are going to be ordered towards that end, without exception. He has endless resources, but that doesn’t mean he’s going to give them a corvette and a pony for their 16th birthday. He doesn’t want brats under his roof.

Pray to God daily for the necessary aid from Heaven to overcome your struggles, especially through the Blessed Mother. Jesus Christ is in love with you and he will never neglect to preserve you. His clamoring, fiery desire to give you mercy makes him incapable of this.

Kateri,

We all have Job’s Syndrome from time to time. We wonder if our afflictions are caused by the Lord due to sin. The Apostles did it, when they encountered the man born blind, in John 9. We do it constantly. It’s the most prevalent spiritual illness.

Let’s get this straight: God does not punish sin with calamity, disease, or difficulty. If sin is punished, it is punished when all things are said and done: at the end of time. There is no reason to believe that God continuously pours scorn on us.

The Flood is over and done. God does not punish the Earth. “Death’s flood hath lost his chill, since Jesus cross’d the river. Lover of souls, from ill my passing soul deliver.”

When we grasp this truth about God, the whole world changes. Chastisement comes to us only in the form of the neighbour whom we do not love. Love is the remedy.

I said to my priest that a certain member of my family is ill because of my sins. He told me that i truly don’t know God! In other words, God is all mercy and love. He does not inflict suffering!

I said to my priest that a certain member of my family is ill because of my sins. He told me that i truly don’t know God! In other words, God is all mercy and love. He does not inflict suffering!
Praise the Lord!

He allows suffering though. And, since all things are ordered toward the final end. I think that it might be possible that he is using my depression to cleanse me/ make reparation for past sin.

Right? :confused:

He allows suffering though. And, since all things are ordered toward the final end. I think that it might be possible that he is using my depression to cleanse me/ make reparation for past sin.

Possibly He is cleansing your intentions & soul through depression. He is not getting you to make reparation for sin, though – most definitely not. Why? Jesus Christ has made full reparation on His Cross. It’s up to us to accept it, and to love God & our neighbour.

Look, I’ve had major depression in the past. Many years were wasted in sadness. I think we all have the power to be patient and wait for God to draw us to a place of healing. I never decided to be “un-depressed”. We can’t do that. We must love and wait, though.

Be at peace… your depression is never so bad as it could be. God loves you. The whole of your life is for Him, as a daughter to a Father. Wait, wait, wait, and love. Allow yourself to be loved. Find others to love. It’s all in community, all healing is in community.

Is depression a form a temporal punishment? Could someone’s past sin bring on depression as a form of payback for the sin(s)?
Of course not!!! Some people may become very depressed because of the death of a loved one. I see it more as purgatory here on Earth. When we have trials and tribulations, we are partly experiencing our purgatory here…

I am on meds for deprssion (15yrs so far). Pray. Trust in God. God is love and mercy. He knows you. He is with you. He wants us to turn to him. Ask God for guidance etc.

God bless you

I have depression, but we suffer for all sorts of reasons. In the end though, I believe suffering is part of Divine Providence.

It has a loving purpose for our good and/or the good of others, no matter how much it disturbs and repels our nature.

I have read recently from a good book that God always gives suffering with love as an expression of His Love.

Still, I hope very much as I’'m sure you do, that it will be lifted. But it must be in God’s good time.

Blessings!

I agree with your thought about cleansing. God also seems to have a way of helping us to turn these worldly consequences into good works, if we are so disposed.

Happy is the man whom God chastises! Also, the more we are allowed to cleanse in this life, provided we keep our heart in the right place, the less we will have to deal with in the next life. The consequences of our actions, both positive and negative, are far more immense spiritually than we can comprehend. We are but small specks, less than an atom, in God’s world. When we perform good works, we please an infinite God. When we sin, we anger an infinite God.

I often wonder about depression as well. I was listening to some of St John of the Cross’ Dark Night of the Soul and wondered how a person would tell the difference between that and depression? There is medicine for depression, so does that mean its not the same?

Well, they are often confused with eachother, but in truth the Dark Night of the Soul that John speak about are for souls who are very very far advanced in the spiritual life.

I know I have depression, but I know for certain I’ve not been through the Dark Night of the Soul. However both can have a purgative effect on the soul. Yet the kind of purgation is quite different.

the Dark Night of the Soul that John speak about are for souls who are very very far advanced in the spiritual life.
I get this, I do. And I agree that they are most likely not the same…but how does one know how advanced they are in their spiritual life?

I get this, I do. And I agree that they are most likely not the same…but how does one know how advanced they are in their spiritual life?
I would probably say:
  1. Those who are highly advanced in the spiritual life no longer think about or wonder where they are in the spiritual life.
  2. The classic spiritual writers outline 3 basic stages in the spiritual life. First, the purgative, then the illuminative, and then the unitive.
When one is in the unitive way, that person’s will is perfectly united with God’s Will in all things.

Most importantly, I would say it’s probably best not to wonder where one is in the spiritual life but simply try in a very intentional way every single day to draw closer to God. Without a spiritual director, this can be a somewhat dangerous and not always effective process.

Here is a link on the three stages:

newadvent.org/cathen/14254a.htm

And also a most excellent book on the spirtual life and it’s 3 ages:

amazon.com/The-Three-Ages-Interior-Life/dp/1492390976

Blessed Easter to you!!

Well, they are often confused with eachother, but in truth the Dark Night of the Soul that John speak about are for souls who are very very far advanced in the spiritual life.

I know I have depression, but I know for certain I’ve not been through the Dark Night of the Soul. However both can have a purgative effect on the soul. Yet the kind of purgation is quite different.
I do not see how random earthly suffering can have any spiritual merit. Depression is “random” because it is currently best understood as a phenomenon that is contributed both the genetic and environmental factors? How can one associate that with any spiritual merits?

I do not see how random earthly suffering can have any spiritual merit. Depression is “random” because it is currently best understood as a phenomenon that is contributed both the genetic and environmental factors? How can one associate that with any spiritual merits?
Are you familiar with the term ‘redemptive suffering’?

I heard of it. Please elaborate?
I would suggest a Web search and a fair amount of reading to really grasp the concept. On a search at CAF, I found this recent thread as one example:

forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=954150&highlight=redemptive+suffering

I offer ALL my suffering and discomfort, ALL my trials and tribulations, and ALL my good works up to our Lord Jesus, through the Blessed Virgin, to be united with His Passion and suffering on the Cross, and used as He and the Blessed Virgin see fit. I offer this ever morning when I rise.

I strongly encourage everyone to consider redemptive suffering.

I’m pretty tired right now, and I know others can answer this question, too…

Nothing that happens in our lives is ever random. God’s Providence is always active in our lives. And though it is hard to believe, He does permit certain sufferings to draw a greater good out of them. They are not meaningless.

My suffering has forced me to draw closer to God, absolutely. And that is a very good thing. However, just this evening I was asking him at adoration to take this cross away. 🙂

But I want to say with Jesus, “If it be possible, take this cup away, yet not as I will, but your will be done.”

That’s what I have for now, anyways. Also, a verse comes to mind about presenting our bodes as a spiritual sacrifice pleasing to the Lord…think it is Hebrews or Romans.

Christ’s Peace be with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back