Descended into Hell?

• Thread starter Thread starter newcalling
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

newcalling

Please pardon what is probably a newbie question, but I have heard a few varying answers to this pondering.

The Apostolic creed, and Catholic belief, says that for the three days between the death and resurrection of the blessed Lord, that he was in Hell.

When I was a child, I was taught that doctrine, and I was told that he was there to take the saints, such as Moses and the prophets, to Heaven.

Recently I heard a Catholic priest on television say that the line was only referring to him being in the void of death. It was a call in show on EWTN, but I don’t recall which one. It’s possible that I misunderstood the father.

When he descended into Hell, was it a Dante like realm of torture ruled over by the first fallen angel, was it sheol where the Jewish people believe(d) all souls go as a resting and holding place, or is it just a metaphor for the pause and void of death? Did he stop in purgatory at all? Did he take the prophets from Sheol to Heaven?

I’m a new Catholic, and a long time student of religion (not an expert by far.) I appreciate your knowledge shared regarding these questions.

In Roman Catholic theology the term “hell” means four distinct possible states;
  1. Infernus. The state of the damned.
  2. The Limbo of the Fathers (Sheol). The state of the righteous dead before Christ’s ascension.
  3. The Limbo of Infants. The speculative theological state of young and unborn children who have not received baptism.
  4. Purgatory. The state of the just who have died bearing venial sin or have incurred temporal punishment as the result of forgiven moral sin.
The Early Christian Fathers are nearly unanimous that Christ’s descent in into “hell” refers to the Limbo of the Fathers (Sheol), to open the gates of heaven to them and allow them to share in the beatific vision. There are other interpretations that exist, but this much at least is held as a definitive truth by the Church.

Please pardon what is probably a newbie question, but I have heard a few varying answers to this pondering.

The Apostolic creed, and Catholic belief, says that for the three days between the death and resurrection of the blessed Lord, that he was in Hell.

When I was a child, I was taught that doctrine, and I was told that he was there to take the saints, such as Moses and the prophets, to Heaven.

Recently I heard a Catholic priest on television say that the line was only referring to him being in the void of death. It was a call in show on EWTN, but I don’t recall which one. It’s possible that I misunderstood the father.

When he descended into Hell, was it a Dante like realm of torture ruled over by the first fallen angel, was it sheol where the Jewish people believe(d) all souls go as a resting and holding place, or is it just a metaphor for the pause and void of death? Did he stop in purgatory at all? Did he take the prophets from Sheol to Heaven?

I’m a new Catholic, and a long time student of religion (not an expert by far.) I appreciate your knowledge shared regarding these questions.
A Detached Account of the Descent into Hell
Code:
WHEN Jesus, after uttering a loud cry, expired, I saw his heavenly soul under the form of a bright meteor pierce the earth at the foot of the Cross, accompanied by the angel Gabriel and many other angels. His Divine nature continued united to his soul as well as to his body, which still remained hanging upon the Cross, but I cannot explain how this was, although I saw it plainly in my own mind. The place into which the soul of Jesus entered was divided into three parts, which appeared to me like three worlds; and I felt that they were round, and that each division was separated from the other by a hemisphere.
jesus-passion.com/THE_PASSION6.htm#CHAPTER%20LIX

EWTN had a segment on this, & they said that the more correct translation of “descended into Hell,” is “descended into Hades.” Based on the Greek, that is correct. “Hades” is the Greek version of “Sheol” - the place of the dead. When Jesus died & descended into Hades/Sheol, the realm of the dead had two “sides” - the suffering side where the wicked went, & the peaceful side where the righteous went (Abraham’s Bosom)(Luke Ch.16). Jesus then took these “captives captive” (the righteous) to Heaven. So, all who are left in Hades are the wicked, who are in torment awaiting to be cast into the “lake of fire” (Revelation 20:14-15). Jesus refers to this later eternal place as “hell” or “gehenna” in the Greek. Since Jesus’ descent into Hades/Sheol, anyone who ends up in Hades are the wicked. Everyone else ends up in Heaven. Anyone who doesn’t end up in Heaven, will end up in Hell. And anyone who ends up in Hades will eventually end up in Hell/Gehenna/the lake of fire.

Hope this helps. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back