Devotion to Holy Spirit

• Thread starter Thread starter Neithan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Neithan

I recently read this in chapter 3 of the Vatican’s :ON POPULAR PIETY AND THE LITURGY
The formulae used in popular piety should give greater emphasis to the person and action of the Holy Spirit. The lack of a “name” for the Spirit of God and the custom of not representing him anthropomorphically have contributed to a certain absence of the Holy Spirit in the texts and formulae of popular piety, while not overlooking the role of music and gestures in expressing our relationship with the Holy Spirit. This lacuna, however, can be overcome by the evangelization of popular piety, as the Magisterium has already recommended on several occasions.
This struck me in particular because I think a lot of Christians see the Holy Spirit merely as the “continuing presence of Jesus” rather than a fully Divine Person in His own right. This is an area where the Orthodox seem particularly keen, as they make a point of the Holy Spirit as separate from Jesus, being His own person (though of course they all share in their mysterious Divine Oneness).
Ironically, its the Holy Spirit who is closest to us in our day-to-day living, actually dwelling inside our souls, and yet He seems to be the least known. Personally, I would like to increase my piety and worship for the full understanding of the Trinity and become more conscious of the Comforter, His presence and action.

The Rosary has plenty of prayer to Mother Mary, God the Father, and God the Son, but no prayer specifically directed to God the Holy Spirit. Do many of you make a point of prayer to the third person of the Trinity? Are there any ‘official’ Catholic prayers to this ‘least known’ Person of God?

OKay I just realized there is another thread discussing EXACTLY the same thing. So if a moderator could delete this one…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back