Devotional Confession?

• Thread starter Thread starter WhiteDove
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WhiteDove

I had never heard this term before that talk my priest gave. It’s the Sacrament of Confession being used for personal edifiction for venial sins apparently. Has anyone heard this term?

He said that confession is rarely neccessary for ‘Good Catholics’ but that we could go as often as we like, which is a devotional use of the Sacrament. I go every 2 months or so. I wish I could go more often, but for various reasons I don’t, one being that I think my priest really doesn’t like it.

40.png
WhiteDove:
I had never heard this term before that talk my priest gave. It’s the Sacrament of Confession being used for personal edifiction for venial sins apparently. Has anyone heard this term?

He said that confession is rarely neccessary for ‘Good Catholics’ but that we could go as often as we like, which is a devotional use of the Sacrament. I go every 2 months or so. I wish I could go more often, but for various reasons I don’t, one being that I think my priest really doesn’t like it.
It’s a shame that your priest makes you feel that you’re putting him out by going to confession. I go every 2 weeks or so and rarely have a mortal sin to confess. I used to frequently have mortal sins, but not since I started going more than once or twice a year. I think frequent reception of the sacrament helps keep one free from mortal sin. I’ve read that the Holy Father goes weekly and I figure I’m way more sinful than he is.

“Devotional Confession” or “Optional Confession” is the name we give to the Sacrament of Penance as received by those who have nothing to tell but venial sins, or sins forgiven in a previous confession. It had its beginning sith the keener realisation of the graces given by the Sacrament.

We can free ourselves from venial sin at any time by acts of charity or sorrow, or by acts of particular virtue in which we have failed , but we can do so with greater profit in the Sacrament of Penance, because it gives us an immediate increase of Sanctifying Grace."

Apologetics and Catholic Doctrine, Archbishop Michael Sheehan, Edited by Fr Peter Joseph. Part 2 Chapter 15, Penance, Page 555.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back