Devotions to St Joseph, Why?

• Thread starter Thread starter leonardoboff
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

leonardoboff

It would be interesting to hear of other similar devotions to St. Joseph and why.

A prayer for safe conduct through lifeBlessed Joseph, father and guide of Jesus Christ in his childhood and youth, who led him safely through the desert and during his earthly pilgrimage, be also my companion and guide in this pilgrimage of life, and never permit me to turn aside from the way of God’s commandments. By my refuge in adversity, my support in temptation, my solace in affliction, until at last I arrive in the land of the living, where with you and Mary and all the saints, I may rejoice forever in Jesus my Lord. Amen.

More similar prayers this month see agendaforprophets.org.uk

There is a Catholic men’s group called the YMI. The Young Men’s Institute has been around for ages and has been referred to as the “Poor Man’s Knights of Columbus.” (No uniforms.) Their motto is “Pro Deo, Pro Patria”- for God and country. They help with many parish projects. Their patron is St. Joseph. He is their example for devotion to God and country.

Deacon Tony

St. Joseph was the protector of the Holy Family under very unusual circumstances. I personally feel he was handpicked by God to be the “stepfather” of Jesus and protector, and deserves our veneration as much, or more, than all the other Saints.

My devotion to St. Joseph is as a husband and father. I ask him to intercede for me to become the husband and father that I should be to my family.

A confessor once brought up how difficult it must have been for St. Joseph to be involved with the Holy Family. Mary, born without sin and remained without sin, and of course, Jesus, without sin, and poor Joseph being a “normal” person. A little tounge in cheek, but, think about it a while.

Peace

I know that St. Joseph is the patron of a happy death as he is thought to have died in the arms of Jesus and Mary, and what could be more perfect?

I, too, think about how hard it must have been for St. Joseph to live with two perfect people! Yet he was chosen by God. So when I feel I’m not living my faith as I should, I ask St. Joseph to pray for me because I know he understands!

I have always had a devotion to St Joseph.

Alternatively one could say that it is a devotion to the Holy Family.

I identify with Joseph, he was a worker. He protected and sacrificed for his family. He practiced self denial, a type of martyrdom many of us are called to make even now.

He is a great example of manhood in full flower.

I keep a small statue of Saint Joseph (no, he’s not upside down!) in my home. I wish I was half the man he was.

Yes, I too have a devotion to St Joseph for all of the reasons you mention. Many years ago I purchased a holy card with this prayer for my nephew. But before giving it, I memorized it and have included it with my daily prayer almost every day since.
(I copied from a website and it pasted in blue :whacky: )

**Oh, St. Joseph, whose protection is so great, so strong, so prompt before the throne of God, I place in you all my interests and desires. Oh St. Joseph, do assist me by your powerful intercession, and obtain for me from your divine Son all spiritual blessings, through Jesus Christ Our Lord, so that, having engaged here below your heavenly power, I may offer my thanksgiving and homage to the most loving of Fathers. Oh, St. Joseph, I never weary contemplating you, and Jesus asleep in your arms; I dare not approach while He reposes near your heart. Press Him in my name and kiss His fine head for me and ask Him to return the kiss when I draw my dying breath. St. Joseph, Patron of departing souls - Pray for me. **

I remember the holy card also included this footnote:
This prayer was found in the fiftieth year of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. In 1505 it was sent from the Pope to Emperor Charles when he was going into battle. Whoever shall read this prayer or hear it or keep it about themselves, shall never die a sudden death nor be drowned, nor shall poison take effect on them, neither shall they fall into the hands of the enemy, nor shall be burned in any fire, nor be overpowered in battle. Say for nine mornings for anything you may desire. It has never been known to fail, so be sure you really want what you ask for.

40.png
leonardoboff:
It would be interesting to hear of other similar devotions to St. Joseph and why.
Not any specific formula, but he was also a father and a provider, what I am too. So he’s my model in these two aspects of my life.

:blessyou:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back