Did Christ literally mean what He said?

• Thread starter Thread starter Dr.Colossus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dr.Colossus

This past Sunday, in the Gospel reading the Apostles ask Christ to increase their faith. He tells them that if they had faith the size of a mustard seed, they would be able to command a mulberry bush to be uprooted and planted in the sea.

Now, I always took this passage to mean that, literally, nothing was impossible with God, that a person of extraordinary faith could truly draw upon God’s awesome power to do things that defy the laws of nature. Our pastor, however, apparently disagrees. He began his homily stating that when Christ said this, He was speaking metaphorically, that while nothing is impossible, neither we, nor he (the pastor), nor anyone could reasonably expect to actually uproot a tree by faith.

So what should the proper interpretation be of this passage? Is expecting a bush to be thrown into the ocean really any different than expecting a person to be healed of a disease? Or a war to end? Or any of the countless miracles that have been witnessed by the faithful for 20 centuries? Any thoughts?

Maybe He was illustrating how little faith they had? They had so little, the size of a mustard seed is unimaginably huge by comparison to their earthly minds. Perhaps for Him the tree-to-sea trick would be nothing.

Perhaps Christ knew they were never to develop significant faith, in which case his point about the tree being cast into the sea would not be challenged or verified.

Just a wild guess.

Alan

By using the mustard seed Jesus was saying that the size of our faith isn’t the issue, it’s the exercising of it that is. Most of us have no need to cast mulberry trees into the sea–that was merely an example he used because there was a mulberry tree within sight as he spoke.

Faith is like love. It isn’t the size of our love that counts but the applying of it that does. If we love someone and have faith in them we can do great things because we are empowered by that faith and that love.

Jesus was saying that faith isn’t measured by size because it either exists or it doesn’t exist. You either have faith or you don’t, you either love or you don’t. That is what he was saying.

Dr. Colossus,

I actually used a healing episode when discussing that passage a few weeks ago along the same lines as you. Peter was asked for alms (in Acts) but he had the audacity to tell the man to get up and walk instead. Peter believed that Christ would heal the man, and the man got up and walked around. I suspect that even if I were brave enough to tell a cripple to get up and walk, I would in my heart not believe that Christ would work something so miraculous through me. That difference is what made Peter capable of moving mountains, while I cannot. That’s why I often pray, “Lord, I believe; help my unbelief.”

So in short - yes, I do think Christ literally meant what he said.

Andreas Hofer:
Dr. Colossus,

I actually used a healing episode when discussing that passage a few weeks ago along the same lines as you. Peter was asked for alms (in Acts) but he had the audacity to tell the man to get up and walk instead. Peter believed that Christ would heal the man, and the man got up and walked around. I suspect that even if I were brave enough to tell a cripple to get up and walk, I would in my heart not believe that Christ would work something so miraculous through me. That difference is what made Peter capable of moving mountains, while I cannot. That’s why I often pray, “Lord, I believe; help my unbelief.”

So in short - yes, I do think Christ literally meant what he said.
All it takes is Faith the size of a mustard seed. Believe and speak Gods Word and watch God move mountains. 👍

Yes Christ always meant what He said. No interpreter has the right to speak for Christ and try to “decipher” His meaning, when it was necessary for further explanation, such as on the meaning of the parables, Christ Himself gave the teaching. In cases where He did not explicate, take the literal meaning as His meaning.

40.png
puzzleannie:
Yes Christ always meant what He said. No interpreter has the right to speak for Christ and try to “decipher” His meaning, when it was necessary for further explanation, such as on the meaning of the parables, Christ Himself gave the teaching. In cases where He did not explicate, take the literal meaning as His meaning.
I don’t know if you are a Catholic, puzzleannie, but your first statement is simply incorrect. The Church has the right and the authority from Christ himself to interpret his words, his life, and his mission to the world. If this were not the case no minister of the word would be able to say anything more than the literal words of Christ. IOW, there would be no oral transmission in preaching nor any commentaries allowed, which is plainly not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back