Did Christ suffer in my stead?

• Thread starter Thread starter JohnCarroll
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JohnCarroll

I was just watching Scott H on EWTN. In this show he seems to say that Christs redemptive work on the cross is not taking on the suffering I deserve as i was always taught as a protestant but that his suffering was instead paying a debt I could not pay. Can you help me with this?

40.png
JohnCarroll:
I was just watching Scott H on EWTN. In this show he seems to say that Christs redemptive work on the cross is not taking on the suffering I deserve as i was always taught as a protestant but that his suffering was instead paying a debt I could not pay. Can you help me with this?
I didn’t see the program, but I’m sure what he meant was that we can still suffer as Christians (just as Christ promised) while on earth, but in the end, our eternal suffering is nullified by his redemptive sacrifice.

Christ promised us that the world would hate us, and as Catholics, we undoubtedly encounter plenty of hate (from non-Christians and non-Catholic Christians alike).

Does that sound like it might fit in w/ what he was saying? Sorry I didn’t see the show so I can’t comment on the exact context.

40.png
Zski01:
I didn’t see the program, but I’m sure what he meant was that we can still suffer as Christians (just as Christ promised) while on earth, but in the end, our eternal suffering is nullified by his redemptive sacrifice.

Christ promised us that the world would hate us, and as Catholics, we undoubtedly encounter plenty of hate (from non-Christians and non-Catholic Christians alike).

Does that sound like it might fit in w/ what he was saying? Sorry I didn’t see the show so I can’t comment on the exact context.
Thanks ZSK
No, the point he was making ( not that I understand it well) is that because my sin is a debt , I can participate, how ever small, in His redemptive work of paying the debt. He attributes the substitutionary suffering on the cross in a criminal since to Luther, and calls it wrong. Does any of this ring a bell with some one?

In what way is sin a debt? I can see debt as a metaphor for sin but actual debt?

In what way is sin a debt? I can see debt as a metaphor for sin but actual debt?
When we go to confession, our sins are forgiven and the grace, the power, to be joyful and at peace is restored to us, if we choose to accept it.

But, although we are restored to peace, the effects of our earlier sins are still rippling through the world.Therefore we still owe a debt to repay for the effects our sin has caused.

God expects us to purify the world of these rippling consequences. He gives us the grace to do it through various means. Prayer, good works, and sometimes suffering.

There is only one way to cleanse the world: join in Christ’s suffering either in the here and now, or in purgatory.

1 Corinthians 12 states: when one suffers, all share the pain. But, when we participate and offer our work, prayer or suffering for one another, 1 Corinthians 12 still applies: When one is honored, all share the glory.

Sacred Scripture calls mankind to share in the sufferings of the Christ. In (Col. 1:24) St. Paul exhorts, Now, I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I complete what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions for the sake of his body the Church.

Scripture calls man to suffering.

(Matt. 5:11-12)-(Acts 5:41)-(Acts 9:16)-(Rom. 8:17)-(2 Cor. 4:8-11)-(James 5:10)-(1 Peter 2:20-21)-(1 Peter 5:10)! In (1 Peter 2:24) St. Peter exhorts, he himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we may die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed. In (Heb. 12:2) St. Paul exhorts, let us keep our eyes fixed on Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Satan was truly defeated by the power of the cross!

The crucifix is a great witness and reminder of Christ sacrifice on the cross! In (Col. 1:18-20) St. Paul exhorts, “He is the head of the body, the Church; he is the beginning, the first born from the dead, that in everything he might be pre-eminent. For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of the cross!”

I think you should take this question to “Ask an Apologist” if you haven’t done so already. It’s an excellent question and one that I’m still trying to figure out fully as well. However, I’m starting to think the answer is no. He suffered so that our sins could be atoned for, but that doesn’t mean that we will never suffer. That is just a fact that is born out by experience in my life and watching the lives of others. But His grace can and does carry us through. -God bless! - Mfaustina1

Forgive the length of this post, but here are some Catechism sections that may be helpful:
602 Consequently, St. Peter can formulate the apostolic faith in the divine plan of salvation in this way: “You were ransomed from the futile ways inherited from your fathers. . . with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot. He was destined before the foundation of the world but was made manifest at the end of the times for your sake.” Man’s sins, following on original sin, are punishable by death. By sending his own Son in the form of a slave, in the form of a fallen humanity, on account of sin, God “made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.”
604 By giving up his own Son for our sins, God manifests that his plan for us is one of benevolent love, prior to any merit on our part: “In this is love, not that we loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the expiation for our sins.” God “shows his love for us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us.”
614 This sacrifice of Christ is unique; it completes and surpasses all other sacrifices. First, it is a gift from God the Father himself, for the Father handed his Son over to sinners in order to reconcile us with himself. At the same time it is the offering of the Son of God made man, who in freedom and love offered his life to his Father through the Holy Spirit in reparation for our disobedience.
615 “For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so by one man’s obedience many will be made righteous.” By his obedience unto death, Jesus accomplished the substitution of the suffering Servant, who “makes himself an offering for sin”, when “he bore the sin of many”, and who “shall make many to be accounted righteous”, for “he shall bear their iniquities”. Jesus atoned for our faults and made satisfaction for our sins to the Father.
616 It is love “to the end” that confers on Christ’s sacrifice its value as redemption and reparation, as atonement and satisfaction. He knew and loved us all when he offered his life. Now “the love of Christ controls us, because we are convinced that one has died for all; therefore all have died.” No man, not even the holiest, was ever able to take on himself the sins of all men and offer himself as a sacrifice for all. The existence in Christ of the divine person of the Son, who at once surpasses and embraces all human persons, and constitutes himself as the Head of all mankind, makes possible his redemptive sacrifice for all.
617 The Council of Trent emphasizes the unique character of Christ’s sacrifice as “the source of eternal salvation” and teaches that “his most holy Passion on the wood of the cross merited justification for us.” And the Church venerates his cross as she sings: “Hail, O Cross, our only hope.”
618 The cross is the unique sacrifice of Christ, the “one mediator between God and men”. But because in his incarnate divine person he has in some way united himself to every man, “the possibility of being made partners, in a way known to God, in the paschal mystery” is offered to all men. He calls his disciples to “take up [their] cross and follow [him]”, for “Christ also suffered for [us], leaving [us] an example so that [we] should follow in his steps.” In fact Jesus desires to associate with his redeeming sacrifice those who were to be its first beneficiaries. This is achieved supremely in the case of his mother, who was associated more intimately than any other person in the mystery of his redemptive suffering.
Apart from the cross there is no other ladder by which we may get to heaven

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back