Did I commit a mortal sin in this case?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sibo1952
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sibo1952

Guest
So my friend’s parents told my friend not to talk to me, but 2-3 times after school he would come to my house and I would let him in for a short amount of time.

I was not aware that him doing this was a sin, but am I still guilty of a sin for doing this?
 
You want us to vote on if you are guilty of sin or not?
Take this to your confessor and learn to form your own conscience.
 
I was not aware that him doing this was a sin, but am I still guilty of a sin for doing this?
First, in order for it to be mortal, you need to be aware that what you are doing is a “grave matter”. So that sentence shows that if you weren’t aware that it was a sin, it couldn’t have been mortal, period.

Secondly, I don’t think what you described would even be “grave matter.”

Mortal sins have three requirements:
  1. Grave matter —the sin must be a serious violation against God or neighbor. (I suggest looking at the Catechism and speaking to a Confessor to help you discern what is grave matter, and what is not. For example, telling a “white lie” is not grave matter, even though lying is always sinful. Many lies have a “smallness of matter”, meaning they aren’t serious offenses that cause harm. Lying under oath and accusing someone of committing a crime, however, is a lie of grave matter.)
  2. Sufficient knowledge—you must be aware that it is a sin at the time of commission or omission, and a serious sin at that.
  3. Deliberate consent — mortal sins are not accidents. They are conscious choices that you make without coercion.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top