Did I make a mistake getting this Agnus Dei?

• Thread starter Thread starter seeker63
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

seeker63

I recently ordered from a monastery of nuns the case for a small Agnus Dei on Ebay. The Agnus Dei, supposedly blessed by Pius XII, was also enclosed, though I of course did not pay for that.

I received it today, and looked at the monastery website
(adorationmonastery.org/page2.html)), and the order of nuns is traditionalist, anti-Novus Ordo and Indult, and possibly schismatic.

Have I sinned here? Is this a “non-valid” Agnus Dei, so to speak?

I’d go ahead and ask your confessor.

I’d be inclined to think it wasn’t mortal, as you state you did not know at the time they were schismatic, but all the same, it’s a question best asked to your confessor 🙂

Some info about it:
Agnus Dei
Scroll down to the bottom of the page
"An Agnus Dei (the name means, of course, “lamb of God,” and is pronounced “ah-nyoos day-ee”) is a round or oval wax disk impressed, most often, with the figure of a lamb, but sometimes with a flag, figure of a Saint, or the papal arms, etc. They were blessed and distributed by Popes in the first year of their pontificates, and then every 7 years thereafter, on Holy Saturday. After the “Agnus Dei” at the Mass that day, the Pope would place a packet of them into the mitres of the Bishops present, who would then distribute them themselves.

They are very ancient, being first mentioned ca. A.D. 820 – possibly earlier if the mention of blessing wax in by Pope Zosimus in the Liber Pontificales in A.D. 418 refer to Agnus Dei – and it is believed that the first ones were made of leftover wax from the Paschal candle mixed with chrism. More recently, they’d be dipped in water mixed with chrism after being formed, and then sewn into small pouches of various shapes to keep them clean and safe.

The symbolism of the Agnus Dei is the same as that of the Paschal Candle; the wax is the pure flesh of Christ, and their protective qualities are like those of other blessed objects, with the Pope’s blessing mentioning specifically protection in combat, and protection against tempests, lightning, fire and water; malice of demons and of every adversity; pentilence, sickness, and a sudden and unprovided death.

Popes, unfortunately, no longer bless and distribute Agnus Dei. At any rate, any Agnus Dei you come across (that is genuine) will date to before 1964, the year “modern man” apparently came into being. You should keep it very safe."

I realize the Popes no longer do this, but what I meant was is this particular Agnus Dei I got in the mail today itself legitimate? Did this one particular Agnus Dei I now have lose its legitimacy by being handled by schismatic nuns? I don’t doubt that it was blessed by Pius XII. I’m just not totally clear about sacramentals. They were barely touched on in RCIA and I’m still reading up on them.

40.png
seeker63:
I realize the Popes no longer do this, but what I meant was is this particular Agnus Dei I got in the mail today itself legitimate? Did this one particular Agnus Dei I now have lose its legitimacy by being handled by schismatic nuns? I don’t doubt that it was blessed by Pius XII. I’m just not totally clear about sacramentals. They were barely touched on in RCIA and I’m still reading up on them.
Hi seeker,
Did you read the whole thing in this link ? It talks about Sacramentals. IMO, I don’t think that you did anything wrong.
Let’s see if any of our resident experts have more to say on the matter.😉

no, schismatic nuns handling it don’t make it invalid, I dont think.

since agnus dei’s are relatively rare, especially now, you usually wont get a whole one (which is a big disc of wax given to the cardinals by the pope) but a small piece or even a dried melted drop of the wax

“Did you read the whole thing in this link ?”

Oh, sorry Annunciata. I thought you’d posted everything from the link. My mistake.

40.png
seeker63:
Would you say it’s still a valid sacramental, though?
Of course! It was blessed by pope pius XII- he was not a schismatic. The Agnus Dei only fell into schismatic hands. Don’t worry about it- just try to stick to other sources from now on.🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back