Did I make the right choice in this situation?

• Thread starter Thread starter Shtove
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shtove

Sorry for the vague title, wasn’t sure what to put. Also, I apologize if this is in the wrong area.

My brother called me to pick him up from work. It’s late and I really didn’t want to but I said yeah, I will. He then asked me if I can also give this other person a ride home and I said no. The reason why I said no was because I know this person is a drug dealer and I do not want myself anywhere near them or associating with them. And honestly on top of that, simply just did not want to. And even though I feel like I have a good reason for saying no, I still felt bad saying no. I want to be a good person and help people but at the same time I don’t want to get myself involved with those kinds of people. Did I make the right decision or should I have given them a ride home?

I think it was a good idea not to give them a ride home. Had they carried drugs in your car, and you had been pulled over, you could have been charged. That’s a perfectly acceptable reason to not want them in your car!

It’s not sinful to set boundaries. Also you aren’t obligated to give everyone a ride.

However giving someone a ride home and a ride so that they can sell drugs are two different things. It’s not sinful to give a drug dealer a ride home. Another thing, it can be seen as a good opportunity to find out who they are. It’s a good opportunity to share who you are and why your faith defines your life.

Christ dined with sinners. He entered their lives and gave them a new hope, a new way to live. He didn’t shy away from hanging out with sinners. He sought them out and gave them a choice.

Sometimes it’s the better option to reach out to those farthest away from Christ. It might be the one time they consider a different path.

People sell drugs and do all types of sinful stuff for many different reasons. Maybe his parents sold drugs. Maybe he’s in a rut because of a breakup or because of the current financial crisis many are in.

While you’re fully within your rights to not want to give this guy a ride, I feel the mere fact you posed this question to us gives us insight to the idea you may feel guilty for not giving him a ride. Because honestly, a simple ride home isn’t enabling him selling more drugs

You have a right to not give a ride to anyone that makes you feel uncomfortable for whatever reason that may be.

Tell your brother that you did him the favor but not to ask you to give other people you don’t know a ride and leave it at that.

if it’s just a little bag in someone’s pocket, they just charge that person
I thought if it was just a smallish amount, the drug owner could remove it from his pocket and slide it into the seat and then if the car were searched, it would look like it was the car owner’s drugs?

Setting boundaries can feel rude or even mean to those who are not comfortable setting boundaries.

Did I make the right decision or should I have given them a ride home?
It is absolutely in your discretion to refuse to drive someone you don’t trust.

Your brother and/or his friend can call a cab/Uber.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back