Did Mary get angry?

• Thread starter Thread starter Monicathree
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Monicathree

I suppose the answer would be no, since she is sinless, yet I remember a scene at the end of The Passion that triggered this for me. It is when she picked up the dirt between her hands. I don’t think she did this out of anger, but more out of pain. Yet, it made me wonder because a “normal” reaction to seeing your child tortured would I am sure be anger?? Yet, I do know she is extraordinary. Thanks.

peace

anger to what? what kind of anger? (not the kind that is just escapist, of course) more like pain? and hurt? “behold, a sword will pierce your heart.”

Why not?

Anger, in and of itself, isn’t sinful:

“Be angry but do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, and give no opportunity to the devil” (Ephesians 4:26-27).

But I do believe it was more pain, and hurt than anger as mrS4ntA posted and a sword shall pierce your heart.
I think that is why it was listed as one of her 7 sorrows.
Was she angry at God when Jesus was missing for three days?
Was she angry when she had to get up and move?
Was she angry when she held her son in her arms?
I believe that is what made Mary the mother of us all, because her heart was as her son’s pure love, and forgiveness.
Hurt sadness, pain, yes but I don’t think anger.

I always wondered what that converstation on the trek home to Nazareth after the boy Jesus’s little escapade in the temple sounded like.

🙂 puzzleannie

Dear friends

I think Mary became angry, she was human BUT without sin, therefore she may have become angry but never sinned as a result of feeling anger. Jesus was angry in the temple with the traders…he didn’t sin!

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

thanks for the responses. And some of you, I think addressed, what my intent was. Maybe, to be more specific, was she angry when they were torturing and killing her son? And, I guess I was wrong and I don’t know where I got this but I thought that being angry was a sin? I had wondered about that, as well. Any other thoughts?

peace

40.png
Monicathree:
I thought that being angry was a sin?
It’s true that we often allow our anger to get to the best of us. We’re not immaculately conceived, after all. 😉

I think it is wrath that is the sin for us. Anger itself is not sinful, and sometimes can even be a holy or righteous anger – but wrath is acting out our vengeance in response to feelings of anger.

40.png
RobedWithLight:
Yes. when He saw the Temple being defiled.

Gerry 🙂
Yes, I would say that sticks out in most peoples minds as the most notable.

I am not sure if He was angry at the fig tree, but if one considers the types of things he said directly to the scribes and pharisees like “you whitewashed tombs!” etc. etc. He did seem to display his anger.

So I guess one might ask “when Mary saw the Temple being defiled, did she get angry?” and if not, why not?

Did anyone else in Jerusalem ever get angry enough to want to chase out the money changers and peddlers?

If they did get that angry, would it have been a sin for them?

What makes us angry? I know I get angry when I see an abortion clinic masquerading as a “women’s health” clinic.

Perhaps the question should be: “are we capable of forgiving?” or “if Mary did get angry, was she capable of forgiving perfectly?” but I don’t even know if that’s the right question, I have a lot to learn.

If I am not the victim, is it my place to be angry? If I am not the victim, is it my responsibility to forgive?

I just don’t know.

You guys bring up some fantastic points. I guess for whatever reason I thought it was a sin just to be angry, which I never really understood. But the moneychangers and the temple totally make a great point. I see that and Mary watching her son sufffer a bit differently now. So, I guess it is what we do with that anger and if we forgive.

Which reminds me of Life on The Rock I just saw last night on EWTN. An amazing woman and her son talked about forgiving the 3 people who killed her son. She talked about separating the forgiveness from the emotions and making it an act of the will first. Amazing Grace!!!

peace

40.png
Cherub:
I think it is wrath that is the sin for us. Anger itself is not sinful, and sometimes can even be a holy or righteous anger – but wrath is acting out our vengeance in response to feelings of anger.
Yes, I think that’s the key. It is possible (and even healthy and necessary sometimes) to be angry without sinning:
Ephesians 4:22-32
22 Put off your old nature which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful lusts, 23 and be renewed in the spirit of your minds, 24 and put on the new nature, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness. 25 Therefore, putting away falsehood, let every one speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another. **26 Be angry but do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, 27 and give no opportunity to the devil. ** 28 Let the thief no longer steal, but rather let him labor, doing honest work with his hands, so that he may be able to give to those in need. 29 Let no evil talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for edifying, as fits the occasion, that it may impart grace to those who hear. 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, in whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31 Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, with all malice, 32 and be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.

40.png
puzzleannie:
I always wondered what that converstation on the trek home to Nazareth after the boy Jesus’s little escapade in the temple sounded like.
Hehehe… yeah,… maybe he got the obligitory jewish mother arse-chewing that all properly raised jewish boys receive! 😉

Maia Morgenstern told Mel Gibson that tradtionally when Jewish women lamented they would pick dirt up off of the ground and throw it on their backs. He liked the idea, but decided to have her drop the dirt instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back