Dietary restriction against eating blood?

• Thread starter Thread starter neophyte
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

neophyte

Apologies if this is a double-post, please delete the other.

I just learned that the Eastern Orthodox still maintain the dietary restriction against consuming blood. I grew up Protestant and have never met a Protestant who had a religious objection to it, which tells me that the Catolic Church must have abrogated the rule prior to the 16th Century. Does anyone know the story of when it happened and why? Was it after the Great Schism? This sounds to me like there might be a very interesting tale.

Last edited:
If it’s part of your question, this is an article by Jimmy Akin that talks about the history of the prohibition on blood:
Thanks. The Vatican document he linked confirms what I always understood: “The prohibitions about idol offerings, blood and meat of strangled animals did not survive within the Church, as shown by later history. The purpose of this prudential decision was precise and circumstantial, the recovery of unity within the community”.

So I gather that the EO restriction either predates the Great Schism as a regional cultural holdover from the Apostolic age, or was a post-Schism reaction to what were perceived as errors in the discipline (or doctrine) of the Roman Church.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back