Difference between the NT Navarre Bible one volume (Expanded Edition) and the three volumes?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Clairvaux
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Clairvaux

Guest
Can anyone tell me what the differences is between the once volume set (Expanded Edition) and the three volume set of the Navarre Bible on the New Testament ?

Has the three volume set more notes or more commentary or is the same but the one volume ((Expanded Edition) has a smaller type ?

One volume:
amazon.com/Navarre-Bible-New-Testament-Expanded/dp/1594170754/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275248099&sr=1-1

Three volume set:
amazon.com/Navarre-Bible-New-Testament-Hardcover/dp/B002Q47Z1U/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275248099&sr=1-10
 
The Expanded Edition has newer commentary (for example, it is annotated with references to the CCC). It eliminates duplication in discussing the synoptic gospels. The text is revised throughout. However, it also eliminates some passages from the three volume set.

The Expanded Edition has the Vulgate text on the same page, while the three hardcover volumes put it in appendices. The Expanded Edition is also printed in two colors (Red and Black) which makes it a bit easier to read.

In other words, neither edition is more complete than the other. I find the three volume sets easier to hold and read (they are smaller), and they match the OT hardcover set, so that is the one I prefer to use. But I don’t think you’ll be missing much if you get the Expanded Edition – and you may find it even more useful than the three volume set.
 
Hi,

Though this was posted long time ago, I felt like I should post my finding on this topic.

I bought a copy of the Expanded Edition and I am very disappointed. The Expanded Edition has very little commentaries, whereas the paperback volumes are exhaustive. The 3-Volume Set has the exact commentaries as the paperback.

Another difference that I noted: In the 3-Volume Set, the Vulgate text is at the bottom, whereas in the Expanded Edition it is sandwiched between the English text and the commentaries.
 
Radrianta:

Perhaps you have different editions than I do, but I find your remarks to incorrectly characterize the Navarre.

The 3-volume hardcover NT set of the Navarre (the “Reader’s Edition”) does not contain the Vulgate. You can easily verify this by looking at the first volume of the set, The Gospels and Acts of the Apostles.

The paperback volumes do have the New Vulgate, but in the most recent (3rd) editions, the New Vulgate is printed at the rear of the book, where it is not convenient to consult. You can easily verify this by using the Table of Contents of the St. Luke’s Gospel.

The very short commentary you are mentioning is likely associated with the one-volume “Compact Edition”. Again, you can look inside the book and verify that. This “Compact Edition” also lacks the Vulgate.

The “Expanded Edition” is the only NT edition in print that contains the English RSV-CE, the New Vulgate, and the annotations on a single page together. Again, you can verify this by looking at a sample passage. It is true that the “Expanded Edition” does omit some annotations (although not nearly so many as you seem to indicate – with the notable exception of the synoptic passages of the gospels – where a single annotation is given rather than multiple annotations at each book.) Perhaps you are confused because the “Expanded Edition” tends to group annotations together according to paragraph passages in the RSV-CE – but I think you will find that most (but not all) of the text is present. Further, the “Expanded Edition” adds material to annotations, notably references to the CCC.

The “Expanded Edition” is awkward in some ways (it is significantly larger than hardcover volumes.) However, if you wish to have the English, the annotations, and the New Vulgate all on a single page, it is really your only choice. If you don’t need the New Vulgate, then it is a bit of a toss-up whether the “Expanded Edition” is an improvement over the 3-volume “Reader’s Edition” hardcover set. The 3-volume set is easier to use, and has slightly more focused annotations, but it lacks cross-references to the CCC and is only printed in one color.

(Perhaps you are also conflating the the NT volumes with the 7-volume OT set. The OT [hardcover] set does contain the RSV-CE, annotations, and the New Vulgate in the configuration you mention.)
 
I hate to spend the money to find out if the commentary is any good.

It seems awkward to me that they have marketed these different versions which are obviously confusing to a lot of people.

Anybody aware of a professional critical review of this commentary?
 
Such is the fate of translations of commentaries – if you read Spanish, I think you would prefer to read the original multi-volume work.

I am not sure what you mean by “professional” review, but a quick google search for “Navarre Bible” and review will yield many hits on reviews. Here is one from the New Oxford Review.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top