Difference in scapulars

• Thread starter Thread starter Danw
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Danw

I have recently started wearing the brown Carmelite scapular. Is the scapular known as the Crusader scapular acceptable and under the same “blessings” as the brown Carmelite scapular?

I kind of like the looks of the Crusader scapular and would like to wear it if it has the same signifance of the other.

Hi Danw,

I found this on New Advent in the catholic encyclopedia under scapular.

IV. GENERAL ECCLESIASTICAL REGULATIONS CONCERNING THE SMALL SCAPULARS

The small scapulars consist essentially of two quadrilateral segments of woolen cloth (about two and three-quarter inches long by two inches wide), connected with each other by two strings or bands in such a manner that, when the bands rest on the shoulders, the front segment rests before the breast, while the other hangs down an equal distance at the back. The two segments of cloth need not necessarily be equally large, various scapulars having the segment before the breast of the above dimensions while the segment at the back is much smaller. The material of these two essential parts of the scapular must be of woven wool; the strings or bands may be of any material, and of any one colour. The colour of the segments of woollen cloth depends on the colour of the monastic habit, which it to a certain extent represents, or on the mystery in honour of which it is worn. Here, however, it must be remarked that the so called Brown Scapular of the Carmelites may be black, and that the bands of the Red Scapular of the Passion must be of red wool. On either or both of the woollen segments may be sewn or embroidered becoming representations or other decorations (emblems, names etc.) of a different material. It is only in the case of the Red Scapular that the images are expressly prescribed.

I don’t know where you can find “the official” stance on this, but I hope the above helps you.

I know MANY people who wear the “crusader” type brown scapular (also known as the “athelete’s scapular”. Good luck!

All Brown Scapulare are, well, Brown Scapulars. It has become popular to have images attached to the scapulars. I have one with St. Michael on it, and my wife has one with Our Lady of Guadalupe. They are still simply Brown Scapulars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back