Difficulty in Prayer

• Thread starter Thread starter Alberich
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alberich

Okay, this is something I’ve been thinking about for awhile. I was talking with a friend not too long ago, and he mentioned that he was going through a dry spell with his prayer lately. Nothing had changed in his life that he could think of, so he couldn’t figure out why it seemed that his prayer lacked the usual “zing” (his word…). Now, I’ve dealt with this too, on occasion. The prayer-life gets inexplicably arid for awhile without any other noticable change in my life. And then, for no seeming reason, the beautiful dialogue that I usually feel that I have with the Almighty returns. Anybody else experience this? Any thoughts as to what happens, why it goes back to normal, and what we might do?

Peace,
Fred

40.png
Alberich:
Okay, this is something I’ve been thinking about for awhile. I was talking with a friend not too long ago, and he mentioned that he was going through a dry spell with his prayer lately. Nothing had changed in his life that he could think of, so he couldn’t figure out why it seemed that his prayer lacked the usual “zing” (his word…). Now, I’ve dealt with this too, on occasion. The prayer-life gets inexplicably arid for awhile without any other noticable change in my life. And then, for no seeming reason, the beautiful dialogue that I usually feel that I have with the Almighty returns. Anybody else experience this? Any thoughts as to what happens, why it goes back to normal, and what we might do?

Peace,
Fred
Just a suggestion… do a thorough examination of conscience… go to confession, do the penance given… later that day or evening find a quiet secluded place, put your mine, soul and sprit in meditation of God the Father and just listen… no kidding, don’t ask anything, don’t do anything but listen to your heartbeat and breath… remember both those came from God… I don’t know, but sometimes that works great for me… gets me in a spiritual mood… just a thought… 👍

I’ve had this problem from time to time, too. I’ve found that sometimes it helps me to find inspiration indirectly through other media. I’m a great reader and music lover, so I’ll often read a book by a great Christian author(C.S.Lewis is a particular favorite), or listen to a piece of uplifiting music, like Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony(Ode to Joy, otherwise known as “Joyful, joyful, we adore you”) or Bach’s Mass in B Minor while reflecting on God’s love for us. This seems to help me appreciate prayer more and revitalise my inner life; re-charge it, if you will.

For a complete discourse on this situation, read “Dark Night of the Soul” by St. John of the cross. He explains why it occurs and its solutions.

When we are children, we need constant affection and encouragement from our parents. We are like that in our prayer life. When we begin (For the first few years), God is constantly encouraging us as little children with a feeling of his presence.

Similarly, as we grow more mature and learn to do things on our own, God as well weens us off the constant euphoria in prayer. This is because the emotional comfort we feel in prayer is actually limiting us to the depths of prayer that God desires to share with us. As he weans us off, it can be painful and seem like he’s not there, but in reality, we’re being pulled to a deeper relationship with him.

What we need to do in response is continue to pray, and as previously mentioned, examine our conscience and go to confession to make ourselves more pure and open.

Unfortunately, the majority christians limit themselves in prayer to that which exhibits an emotional response, and miss out on the vastness of God’s glory.

Josh

My twin brother is a priest so he helps me out in times like these.
He tells me that if you are expecting a certain ‘feeling’ then you will be putting your energy in the wrong place.
As in anything, my brother tells me that it is just a total matter of Faith. To leave it up to Faith that God does and will give you what you ask at the appropiate time.
Remember that God knows what is in your heart and he will give you what you ask for, but when HE deems the time is right.
God is testing you (and all of us) to be faithful and to persevere…(to run the race and stay on the road that leads to Heaven).
As long as you ponder on your ‘lack of getting something out of prayer’ satan is winning.
As Nike does say, “Just Do It”. Pray and continue to pray, to be faithful to our Lord.

go with God!
Edwin

I went through something similar a few years ago, and while on retreat discussed it with my director. he took me through some very definite and precise questions and reflections, and told me I was being led into contemplative prayer. He had me read Dark Night of the Soul, but only up to a certain point, and another book on contemplative prayer, but only certain chapters. I did what he told me for a long time, and my spiritual life grew incredibly, but then I got scared, and stopped following his advice for a while. Thanks to the support of a wise person on this forum, I am getting back in the groove, but starting back as square one. It is like going off your diet and exercise routine, you go to pot quickly, but it takes a long time to get back into shape. Try to find a wise spiritual director you can talk to about your prayer life. Bottom line, I learned the hard way I have to pray every day, at the same set times, no matter how rewarding, boring, unproductive, or consoling it seems, just do it.

Well, I am not creative enough to improvise prayer. I just ask for help w/ the same old stuff and for the same old people.

I can, however pray the Rosary and meditate the mysteries. I cannot memorize the longer prayers and must read them. I’m not very good at it and sometimes my mind wonders a little, but I’m able to get back on track.

Ever notice how well protestants can at ad lib meal prayers?

Look on prayer as conversation of your heart, mind and spirit with God’s heart mind and spirit, you don’t need any fancy words in private prayer, it is conversation with your beloved Father in Heaven. When you open every part of your life and tell Him everything and ask Him everything in love and trust. Then you are His child and He is your Father. Personally when I have thought how do I pray today, I just tell the Father I’m not sure how or what to say and hand it to Him, yes even hand my prayers to Him to be met with His will.The thing is you can’t go on and on at your Father in Heaven as though you can brow beat Him into hearing you, He already knows what you need and loves you always. So just be the you He loves and talk with Him. God Bless you xxx

‘Ever notice how well protestants can at ad lib meal prayers?’

it seems that way, but when you’ve lived with them (and been one) for years, you notice that they tend to say the same things all the time. don’t get me wrong - alot of prots do have great prayer lives, and talk ‘very conversationally’ with God about everything. which is good, and catholics can learn from it. but after awhile, you start noticing that the same phrases and requests and praises and so forth get recycled, most often. anyway, just so you know.

yes, the dry spells are very normal, almost a given, in prayer life. just like in physical exercise, you get to a point where you don’t want to go on, because you hit a sort of ‘wall’. but there are great things on the other side. besides ‘dark night of the soul’, there are two great books called ‘when the well runs dry’ and ‘drinking from a dry well’ by thomas h green, sj. they are excellent on this very issue.

God bless!

I think your whole life is prayer, every action is an act of prayer to God and reaffirms you conversation and faith in Christ Jesus and Him. If when you come to prayer with the Lord and you have no words to say or it seems you are in a dry spell, reflect on your life, the life of those you know, the world and reflect on Christ Jesus. I think contemplation is as much part of prayer as is verbal prayer.

I know of just the book for you. The Dark Night of the Soul is wonderful, but can be a bit difficult to understand. I recommend starting with When the Well Runs Dry by Fr. Thomas Green. Although I think this book is out of print, you can always get it at a used bookstore (something like abebooks.com).

I have had difficulty in prayer too, though mine is because my well has always been dry. 😦 But that is not necessarily a bad thing, as Fr. Green explains. I recall a wonderful analogy, and I think it’s from that book. When a bright light is near you, you can see it clearly and are always reminded of its presence. However, when that light comes even closer to you, it blinds you and you think you are in darkness. Sometimes darkness–spiritual dryness, or that loss of “zing”–simply comes from an abundance of light. 🙂

~Jacqui

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back