E
Epistemes
Guest
Hello,
First, I would like to ask the mods to move this thread if this section isn’t the proper section for such topics. Thank you.
Now to the main issue:
I am one catechist among three or four who is responsible for teaching a youth catechumenate at my parish. It’s an extremely small catechumenate with currently only one eleven year old in attendance. We’ve had other children in attendance, but there are always complications at such a young age with committing to something like this. At any rate, this eleven year old has been in attendance since the beginning and says he is ready to stick with this until the end.
I’m *very *new at being a catechist. I was only confirmed into the Church during Easter 2007, and my time since then has been beset with spiritual weaknesses galore, but I still consider myself a Catholic Christian and I volunteered to be a catechist because I thought it might help me understand more about what I believe and why I believe it.
Unfortunately, however, I can’t help but think that I’m doing a horrible job and that I’m failing to properly teach this kid about what the Church believes and why it believes it as such. For one, even though I prepare way in advance and attempt to become very familiar with the material, it seems like I whiz through the material in 15 minutes during a session that is scheduled for 45 minutes. Secondly, this young boy acts *so *bored when I’m teaching. I watch as his eyes glaze over, as he looks out the window, and other things which suggest to me that I’m not presenting the material in an interesting manner, which may be true since my style of teaching is to lecture. I have tried asking him questions and getting him involved, I’ve tried sounding more upbeat, but it’s all to no avail it seems. I’m not the best catechist in the world, I know, because I have a tendency to repeat myself, to forget words then get totally disoriented, etc., but I just want to make sure this kid understands what I’m telling him…and sometimes I wonder about that. When I ask if he has questions, he says no.
His mother is in the classroom when we teach, but she remains uninvolved. There are also no other catechists in the room. It’s always a one-on-one deal; therefore I have no idea how the other catechists are faring.
While I want to make sure that he is understanding what I’m saying, I also want to make sure that I’m doing a good job. I kind of feel as if he doesn’t particularly like me – as if I’m that horribly boring history teacher who puts you to sleep.
I just really don’t know…
First, I would like to ask the mods to move this thread if this section isn’t the proper section for such topics. Thank you.
Now to the main issue:
I am one catechist among three or four who is responsible for teaching a youth catechumenate at my parish. It’s an extremely small catechumenate with currently only one eleven year old in attendance. We’ve had other children in attendance, but there are always complications at such a young age with committing to something like this. At any rate, this eleven year old has been in attendance since the beginning and says he is ready to stick with this until the end.
I’m *very *new at being a catechist. I was only confirmed into the Church during Easter 2007, and my time since then has been beset with spiritual weaknesses galore, but I still consider myself a Catholic Christian and I volunteered to be a catechist because I thought it might help me understand more about what I believe and why I believe it.
Unfortunately, however, I can’t help but think that I’m doing a horrible job and that I’m failing to properly teach this kid about what the Church believes and why it believes it as such. For one, even though I prepare way in advance and attempt to become very familiar with the material, it seems like I whiz through the material in 15 minutes during a session that is scheduled for 45 minutes. Secondly, this young boy acts *so *bored when I’m teaching. I watch as his eyes glaze over, as he looks out the window, and other things which suggest to me that I’m not presenting the material in an interesting manner, which may be true since my style of teaching is to lecture. I have tried asking him questions and getting him involved, I’ve tried sounding more upbeat, but it’s all to no avail it seems. I’m not the best catechist in the world, I know, because I have a tendency to repeat myself, to forget words then get totally disoriented, etc., but I just want to make sure this kid understands what I’m telling him…and sometimes I wonder about that. When I ask if he has questions, he says no.
His mother is in the classroom when we teach, but she remains uninvolved. There are also no other catechists in the room. It’s always a one-on-one deal; therefore I have no idea how the other catechists are faring.
While I want to make sure that he is understanding what I’m saying, I also want to make sure that I’m doing a good job. I kind of feel as if he doesn’t particularly like me – as if I’m that horribly boring history teacher who puts you to sleep.
I just really don’t know…
