Diocesan vs. Religous

• Thread starter Thread starter Jabronie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jabronie

I hear these terms thrown around a lot, but what in the world do they mean? What is the difference between a Diocesan priest and Religious orders?

Basically, a diocesan priest works for a particular diocese and a religious priest joins an order, such as the Fransiscans or Oblates of Mary Immaculate. Young men choose an order that has a particular mission that the candidates feel called to, or they choose to be ordained for a specific diocese–usually the one they grew up in, but sometimes one where they feel called to work.

Diocesan priests are pretty much stuck in one geographic area, though they do change parishes. Order priests can be sent anywhere in the world to fullfill the mission of their order.

Basically, a diocesan priest works for a particular diocese and a religious priest joins an order, such as the Fransiscans or Oblates of Mary Immaculate. Young men choose an order that has a particular mission that the candidates feel called to, or they choose to be ordained for a specific diocese–usually the one they grew up in, but sometimes one where they feel called to work.

Diocesan priests are pretty much stuck in one geographic area, though they do change parishes. Order priests can be sent anywhere in the world to fullfill the mission of their order.
Thanks for the response. Here’s a follow up question: When is priest is of an order, does he sill serve as a pastor of a parish, or is that left only to the diocesan priests? Also, to which bishop does an order priest serve under?

Thanks for the response. Here’s a follow up question: When is priest is of an order, does he sill serve as a pastor of a parish, or is that left only to the diocesan priests? Also, to which bishop does an order priest serve under?
Some parishes have been turned over to religious orders to be administered so yes, religious order priests do serve as pastors but some orders do not do this at all.

Religious order priests serve under their religious superior. When they tend a parish they are also under that diocese’s bishop.

In addition to what ByzCath said, for the religious priests, becoming parish priest is not their priority. One could be ordained as a priest, but if they order need him as vocation director/nurse/teacher, there he goes, serving as whatever he’s asked to do. So if they are ordained as priests, doesn’t mean that they have to be parish priests.

Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Yes. My parish is a Franciscan parish and the pastor and assoc. pastor are assigned to our parish by their Franciscan order in Pennsylvania. My parish reports to the diocese bishop, but the Franciscan order provides the priests.

The Franciscans also “loan” their priests to fill vacancies of diocesan priests.

In addition to what ByzCath said, for the religious priests, becoming parish priest is not their priority. One could be ordained as a priest, but if they order need him as vocation director/nurse/teacher, there he goes, serving as whatever he’s asked to do. So if they are ordained as priests, doesn’t mean that they have to be parish priests.

Please correct me if I’m wrong.
You are absoultly correct.

We had a workshop here in the formation house last week on Community Life and the presenter is a priest, has been for 20 years or so and he has never done parish work. He has supplied for parishes, that is he has celebrated Sunday Masses but he has never been a parish priest nor has he worked in any parish ministries. He has spent his time in the Carmelite High Schools and now is working with the elder members of the order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back