Discerning priestly advice

• Thread starter Thread starter Juanshark25
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Juanshark25

Should you always take a priest’s advice when it comes to matters of the church and church teaching? Seems like a dumb question but it’s hard to know when you hear so many stories. Is it basically as long as you know they don’t contradict any church teachings then you should trust whatever they say?

Should you always take a priest’s advice when it comes to matters of the church and church teaching?
This is a prudential matter.

No, you don’t have to take a priest’s advice just because he’s a priest and gave advice. You weigh his advice with other advice and your own discernment.

I personally would trust a Priest’s advice regarding the Church and Church teaching, especially over somebody attempting to recruit and/ or poach individuals to follow a different denomination. If you have read the Bible you should have an understanding regarding Christianity. Although we often do need clarification, that’s were the Church comes in and Priest’s are representatives of the Church. If you’re familiar with the Bible and somebody begins rattling off and twisting verses you will probably catch it. If you don’t agree with the individuals views or interpretation you can always go to the Bible for reference.

I’m not an expert however this is just my response to the question of the post. If this needs correction I certainly am open to consider other views especially from those among the Catholic Faith.,

Last edited:
Should you always take a priest’s advice when it comes to matters of the church and church teaching?
You have a tool to find out if a priest or any other person contradicts the teaching of the Catholic Church: the Catechism of the Catholic Church 1992 and the other documents collected on the Holy See website www.vatican.va

No.
Should you give it weight? Sure. Should you trust it? Well that depends on the priest now doesn’t it?

I’ve heard contradicting things depending on the priest & stopped attending a parish where the head priest was giving homilies I felt defied the Church doctrine. You need to refer to the Catechism for authority, but take their advice with more weight than a lay person.

Last edited:
I would say it depends greatly on who the priest is and what the issue at hand is. Not all priests are equally trained or equipped for all subjects. You may find an extremely knowledgeable priest in canon law in one place, for instance, and the next diocese over, that same expertise may rest with a deacon, religious sister, or some other highly educated lay person.

Let’s just say I asked a priest something and he didn’t contradict the catechism or any church teaching. For example, if I asked at what point does drinking and driving become sinful. That’s an area thats hard to be too conservative or liberal. He gives me an answer. Should I accept that?

It’s difficult to tell when to be obedient and trust Gods church or when to question authority.

Right, that’s the obvious thing. But priests are not given a vast knowledge of life or even theology just because they were ordained. We must be careful of clericalism and priest worship if we start to attribute skills or knowledge they may or may not have. We also shouldn’t dismiss them simply because we may be challenged by what they say. I’m friends with several priest who are incredibly wise and superior in theology and wisdom to me. I’m also friends with priests who rely on my opinions or those or those of others almost exclusively. Priests are people. People with the gifts of the sacraments. They can be just as right or wrong on any given subject as my next door neighbor, including Catholic subjects.

You are obligated to form your conscience well. Speaking to your pastor about the matter is one of the better ways to do that. If he says something that sounds strange ask for references to church teachings, lives of the saints, etc. Our members will likely be able to also provide such references, maybe some personal experiences too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back