Discomfort over clap-happy Mass

  • Thread starter Thread starter mt_gooseberry
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Around my area, it’s not clapping to the choir, but clapping with the hymns, especially at the Sanctus.

I don’t want to play the race card or anything or derail the thread, but I don’t see anywhere where the OP mention that her husband being a Mexican. Mexico isn’t the only country that speaks Spanish…just saying. And like I mentioned before, I am latino, my dad is Salvadoran and my mom Mexican.
Not in this thread, but in another of her threads.
 
DH and I attend Mass at our local church most Sundays. There is a Spanish-language Mass once a month about an hour away that DH likes to attend, since his first and strongest language is Spanish. The problem is…the Mass has lots of clapping and tambourines and stuff. I really don’t enjoy it.
I frequently attend English and Spanish Masses at various parishes. In my experience, it is common for Spanish Masses to use instruments such as guitars and percussion instruments. Such music can be played reverently if one tries, and the canon of Spanish music is full of simple and heartfelt songs which are easy for parishioners of varying musical ability to sing.

I have heard clapping (both during songs and after Mass) at both English and Spanish Masses. I don’t think clapping is more common at Spanish Masses than at English Masses (has anyone heard the “Soon and Very Soon” clapfest at an English mass? Thought so.)

I have never heard “shouting” (as one previous poster mentioned) at a Mass in any language.
The Masses I’ve gone to in Mexico are not “happy clappy.” They are pretty traditional. I’ve noticed that a lot of my Mexican friends here in the US have gone Evangelical…in fact, I remember noticing there was a thread here on CAF about that shift, though I didn’t read it. Maybe Latino Masses here are trying to cash in on that?
I think the Latino Masses here use non-traditional instruments because the music is almost entirely performed by immigrants and it’s hard to assemble an ensemble from that population that can play the organ and sing accordingly. Regarding the Evangelical shift, I’ve observed several motivations for this, and the choice of music isn’t going to change much here:
  1. Invalid marriages. As with other Americans, many immigrants have been divorced and remarried (often due to geographical separation from spouse). Immigrants are less likely than other Americans to continue receiving Communion in such a situation; rather, they’re more likely to ditch the church for one where they can participate fully.
  2. Desire to assimilate: The evangelical churches are seen by some as being more authentically “American”. Overrepresented in the immigrant population are people who were dissatisfied with their life abroad and are looking for a clean start.
  3. Social support: We’ve already had a million discussions on this forum about how it’s easier to make friends at Protestant than Catholic churches. It’s no different in the Spanish-speaking community (although the Spanish-speaking Catholic Church is slightly friendlier than the English one). People who have recently immigrated are often looking for social support, and the Latino house churches provide it.
 
I have never heard “shouting” (as one previous poster mentioned) at a Mass in any language.[/Q"UOTE]

I have, especially at the 3 pm Mass at my parish. It suppose to be a “youth Mass” and this is done by, of course, youth. The choir, ushers, EMHC’s, and sometimes lectors are young people. At every parish in my area, there is a youth Mass, which those who attend are from Arcoiris, which is a youth group. I undestand why the parishes around my area, wanting to engage the youth to become active members of the parish, but first and foremost, some major, catechesis is in order.
 
DH and I attend Mass at our local church most Sundays. There is a Spanish-language Mass once a month about an hour away that DH likes to attend, since his first and strongest language is Spanish. The problem is…the Mass has lots of clapping and tambourines and stuff. I really don’t enjoy it.

Does anyone else out there ever have to attend Mass done in a style that they really don’t enjoy? Rationally I know it shouldn’t matter, as long as you get to be in the Real Presence you shouldn’t complain, but that is one of the things that drove me nuts as a Protestant and now I have to sit through it again. Ack!
Think of it this way - just once a month you are givingup your preferred music style for your husband. 3 times a month, he is worshipping in a language that is not his native tongue.

I realize your husband does speak English and does understand the priest at your usual parish, but the arguement still stands.

I recommend that you check your diocese website or masstimes.org and see if there is a different Spanish-language Mass that your family can attend.
 
Oh MY! That gets me very upset too, because it is so irreverant. It takes the focus off of Christ on the Altar and makes everything a democarcy of the people and what makes them feel warm and fuzzy. How about trying to find a Latin Mass? Latin and Spanish are close and many of my friends whos first language is Spanish understand Latin. If there was a Latin Mass anywhere close (say 2 hrs away or less one way) I would go! But alas, I am stuck. 🤷
 
I really can’t stand it when people clap for the choir at the end of Mass. The music should be a prayer even if it is entertaining as well. Since I don’t stand up and applaud people that attend adoration when they leave the chapel I don’t think we should be breaking out into applause after the choir finishes either.
Posted on 8 June 2009 by Fr. John Zuhlsdorf

An important liturgical message from Cardinal Ratzinger – now Pope Benedict XVI

Wherever applause breaks out in the liturgy because of some human achievement, it is a sure sign that the essence of liturgy has totally disappeared and been replaced by a kind of religious entertainment. " (Spirit of the Liturgy p. 198)
 
Posted on 8 June 2009 by Fr. John Zuhlsdorf

An important liturgical message from Cardinal Ratzinger – now Pope Benedict XVI

Wherever applause breaks out in the liturgy because of some human achievement, it is a sure sign that the essence of liturgy has totally disappeared and been replaced by a kind of religious entertainment. " (Spirit of the Liturgy p. 198)
:sad_yes::clapping:

Definitely!
 
I don’t mind applauding a nice musical effort, but vocal approval during a sermon offends my sensibilities. That’s why I could’t stand Swaggart. The congregation would clap after every line, and the whole proceeding seemed so fake. At least in predominantly white churches, I find intermittent cheers disrespectful of God’s Word. :rolleyes: Rob
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top