Discussion with Athiest - I'm in over my Head!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bearontherun
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bearontherun

Guest
I commented on an article I read from a local newspaper on an online commenting forum. The author and I have been debating back and forth a bit. He has brought up various “unfulfilled prophesies” such as the Nile drying up, Egypt being a wasteland and the cities of Damascus and Tyre being utterly destroyed. Frankly, I had never heard of these prophesies being in the Bible and I have not found a way to address this. :o

Does anyone have any advice, knowledge in this area as to how I could respond?

If anyone is interested, you can view the discussion here…

therecord.com/living/article/542791–pondering-the-reality-of-the-life-of-jesus

(I am HuckleSallyLowly)

I very much appreciate any help you can offer.
 
without going into too much detail/hassle, I think you could legitimately point out that since human history isn’t over, there may well be prophecies in Scripture that haven’t been fulfilled-yet.
 
Ask him for book, chapter and verse of these prophecies. Make him prove his point. Don’t just accept what he claims to be true.
 
without going into too much detail/hassle, I think you could legitimately point out that since human history isn’t over, there may well be prophecies in Scripture that haven’t been fulfilled-yet.
^ yea, what he said.
 
one would think an atheist wouldn’t bother to use the Bible to try to refute a faith that uses it.
 
I have a suggestion that’s a little off from your original question…

But when he said “Lord, Liar, Lunatic
or Legend. I choose to believe Legend. And, again, you could the same evaluation to Mohammed, David Koresh, and dozens of others. Clearly you classify only Jesus as Lord, and the others as liars, lunatics or legends. On what basis do you give preferential treatment to Jesus? On the basis of an inconsistent and provably inaccurate Bible?”

You could bring up how Jesus is the only one that claims to be God’s son. I apologize if this is inaccurate, but that’s what I’ve been taught.
 
I commented on an article I read from a local newspaper on an online commenting forum. The author and I have been debating back and forth a bit. He has brought up various “unfulfilled prophesies” such as the Nile drying up, Egypt being a wasteland and the cities of Damascus and Tyre being utterly destroyed. Frankly, I had never heard of these prophesies being in the Bible and I have not found a way to address this. :o

Firstly, you can point out to him that he isn’t the first person to ever question the existence of Jesus nor review the availiable evidence.

For more than a century, continental (Albert Schweitzer onwards) universities have been debating the Quest for the Historical Jesus. There have now been three such Quests, each by professionals who are aquainted with the necessary Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic, Latin &c. to get back to all the originals.

I can tell you that the primary result of the quest was to demonstrate to even the most hardened athiest that there was undoubtedly a human individual named Jesus of Nazareth. That he was a preacher, he performed acts that were labelled miraculous by his followers and "magic or sorcery"by his critics. He performed excorcisms (ie casting out demons) and was eventually excecuted by crucifixion.

There is no less reason to bellieve he existed than Julius Caesar or Gandhi &c.

Secondly, Biblical prophecy (as I constantly hear versus Protestants) needs interpretation. After all, say Jonah. He prophisies at the LORD’s command that Ninevah will be destroyed. THe ninevites under the rule of their king repent in sackcloth and ashes and so God does not carry through with the destruction. Does that mean Jonah was mistaken? He throws a tantrum at God who explains that he loves and cares for those people in the city.

Try to stay central to prophecies about Jesus and ask why Jesus’ birth narratives had to include the census? After all this incidental infomation wasn’t prophisied, they could simply have wandered down to Bethlehem if they had felt like it, is giving Jesus a nativity in a stable conistent with “magnigying him?” quite the opposite, it is lowly.

One of the critirion suggested for knowing whether something is authentic is to see if it embarrases anyone. There is plenty in that lowly birth to suggest that it is a credible account. After all, Luke, a doctor, was likely to know that the virgin birth was extraordinary yet not really much more than all the previous “womb opening” accounts such as Sarah or Samuel’s mother, Elizabeth &c.

Anyway, good luck getting an athiest to even listen. They tend to have a superiority complex. at least agnostics have an opening in their uncertainty. Fortunatley, not many people are actual athiests once you scratch them (10% if that).
 
The advice about getting book, chapter, and verse is good. Isaiah 19 talks about the Nile drying up. Isaiah 23 mentions Tyre, try googling Tyre, it has been destroyed and rebuilt a few times. Isaiah 17 tells of Damascus being ruined. In Jeremiah 49 there is aprophecy about Damascus waxing feeble and her palaces will burn down. Good luck and God Bless your witness.👍
 
Thank you all so much for your insightful (name removed by moderator)ut. I will use your points in my reply.:blessyou:

Bearontherun
 
Damascus, Syria, will be obliterated. Wait for it. This is quite possibly the oldest continually occupied city in the world.

It’s the Euphrates that is prophesied to be dried up with a 200,000 man army from the Orient–China has that now–passing over dry-shod. This can be easily be effected by the valves in the headwater dam in Turkey simply being turned off. China did openly comment that it was easy for America to take Iraq and that they shoulda coulda woulda done it. China has no oil. China needs oil to make all the chotchkes Americans buy.

So how about the prophecies that HAVE been fulfilled, over 300 just relating to Jesus Christ alone?!? I don’t get atheists. Ignorant bigots. Make your atheist give you a standard of proof which, if met, will convince them to convert. They just keep moving the bull bar otherwise, usually to avoid dealing with personal sin.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top