Thanks that helps a lot. Do you know if there is any official document that tells us how to dispose of the old vessels? I googled it and thats how I learned we need to burn or bury them, but there doesn’t seem to be any official word. What I saw on the forums here didn’t seem to have an answer to that. Just a few threads about having “accidents” with the glass or ceramic. I would much rather be able to say this is the proper way to dispose of them rather than have an “accident.”
I would hesitate on what you’ve already found. Those comments would apply to something like old altar linens that are worn beyond dignified use. Burn or bury doesn’t do anything if the vessel is metal or glass or ceramic (unless you’ve got a very hot fire!).
The canon law, and the new Book of Blessings that I already cited are the most authoritative sources. They’re both clear in saying that Sacred Vessels can’t be put to any other purpose. I don’t mean this to be difficult, but I’m not sure what more you might need–or what more someone else might need. If you want “proof” that somone can’t take it home and use as a sandwich plate, there it is. On the other hand, if the old paten is simply going to be stored in someone’s home, without being used for anything, there’s no prohibition against this. A lot of people have old chalices in their homes, usually because they belonged to deceased priests who were relatives.
When it comes to glass or ceramic, I don’t have experience with “accidents” since an accident is something unintentional. Once a thing that has been blessed ceases to be that-which-it-was, the blessing also ceases. That’s why a consecrated chalice, when it’s sent for restoration, has to be re-consecrated or re-blessed. When it’s reduced to its component parts, it isn’t a chalice anymore.
So a ceramic chalice (even if it was at one time blessed) once it is smashed with a hammer into tiny, unidentifiable shards, is no longer a chalice (if indeed, it ever was one–I’m of the opinion that it wasn’t, since it never met the definition of a chalice in the first place), it’s just a pile of sand.
I doubt the Church will have an answer for what to do with old ceramic/glass chalices because of the simple fact that since these materials can’t be used to make chalices in the first place, there can’t be a solution (disposal) if the problem (old ceramic chalice) can’t exist.
To repeat, though, any vessel that held the Body and Blood of Christ can’t be put to any other use. That comes from the BB and the canon law taken together.
Questions like this about metal chalices have been posed to Rome before. I don’t have access to those documents, but hopefully someone who does know where to look will read this thread and can post them.