D
Defensefor
Guest
Hello new to the forum yet I’ve been reading it for years. In my recent discussion with a protestant we came to the topic of priestly authority to forgive sins I referred him to John 20:22-23.
He insists that in this passage Christ is giving the power to forgive or retain sins to ALL Christians rather than to just the Apostles. He then explained that Christ intended this statement to mean that only if someone personally wronged you, that you had the power to forgive his/her sin if they asked your forgiveness. Further he said the passage did not have to do with confession to someone such as a priest who played no part in the incident.
I can see where he makes his case for the passage referring to all Christians in the sense that in John 20: 19-20 the passage describes that Jesus was with the disciples rather than specifically the apostles. I realize the passage likely refers only to the apostles but I don’t have any evidence to support that.
I was wondering if anyone could help me out here.
He insists that in this passage Christ is giving the power to forgive or retain sins to ALL Christians rather than to just the Apostles. He then explained that Christ intended this statement to mean that only if someone personally wronged you, that you had the power to forgive his/her sin if they asked your forgiveness. Further he said the passage did not have to do with confession to someone such as a priest who played no part in the incident.
I can see where he makes his case for the passage referring to all Christians in the sense that in John 20: 19-20 the passage describes that Jesus was with the disciples rather than specifically the apostles. I realize the passage likely refers only to the apostles but I don’t have any evidence to support that.
I was wondering if anyone could help me out here.