Divine Mercy

• Thread starter Thread starter gnome
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gnome

In the Divine Mercy chaplet, we pray “Eternal Father, I offer You the Body and Blood, …” I know it’s an approved prayer, but I keep on thinking it’s not proper for the lay faithfuls to say
“I offer You the Body and Blood…”. Anyone else has similar thought, or correct me if I’m wrong.

Not in the least… I know what I’m saying & that I’m offering my prayers for my own sins & those of the whole world. I can’t imagine a more scriptural intercession than that. Besides, it’s not like we’re offering a Mass. We are simply rejoicing and interceding for the whole world based upon the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross. I often offer it for the one soul out there who has no one to pray for him and I firmly believe that it makes a difference because it is a faithful prayer offered for the right reasons. I absolutely love the DMC. It’s short, sweet, powerful, and to the point.

40.png
gnome:
In the Divine Mercy chaplet, we pray “Eternal Father, I offer You the Body and Blood, …” I know it’s an approved prayer, but I keep on thinking it’s not proper for the lay faithfuls to say
“I offer You the Body and Blood…”. Anyone else has similar thought, or correct me if I’m wrong.
You might want to seek the Ask an Apologist forum. That seems like a very complex and philosophical question.

I love Divine Mercy too. We were praying it at the bedside of my granfather, and he breathed his last as we finished the final decade. I could feel God’s presence there. It’s a beautiful prayer and one I say now whenever I feel fear or sadness.

The prayer is the one of the most important prayer for the spring time of the church. The pope wants everyone to pray it.

God Bless

I read Sr. Faustina’s diary a few weeks ago, and wish I discovered it sooner. My grandmother died last year, and when I was cleaning out her house, I found many clippings about Sr. Faustina’s cannonization, which is how I learned of her. My grandmother’s parents were Polish immigrants.

The devotion and its story brouht me such great feelings of peace, and love and inspired me to pray more for others;particualrly their conversion into people more pleasing to God. It is a wodneful love story, how Jesus continually speaks to people on Earth, particualrly during times of great turmoil to remind humanity that he lvoes and he forgives. The Sr. Faustina book inspired me to pursue a reading list to trace the topic. So far I have read works by St. Theresa of Avila, St. Margaret Mary, St. Therese, St. Francis, and I am currently reading St. Catherine of Sienna. I also intend to cover the writings of St. Birgitta, St. Gertrude, and Julian of Norwhich.

Church Militant:
I often offer it for the one soul out there who has no one to pray for him and I firmly believe that it makes a difference because it is a faithful prayer offered for the right reasons. I absolutely love the DMC. It’s short, sweet, powerful, and to the point.
This is a beautiful prayer for lay people to pray. I also believe it is a very powerful spiritual weapon. I pray this daily for various intentions and conversions.

I believe in this prayer, we are recognizing and acknowledging to God that Jesus sacrificed His life for our salvation. All His pains and sufferings were for our sins. Now, in turn, we are offering up all of our sins and the sins of those around us who do not know Christ. We are simply asking, pleading to God for mercy. To remember us in His very merciful way. Without His mercy we are lost.

Holy God, Holy Mighty One, Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

thanks everyone for your (name removed by moderator)ut. I need to add that I do pray DMC for sometime now. It’s a beautiful prayer, especially the “Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us and on the whole world”.
The DM Sunday Mass at our diocese last Easter was exceptional.
For a long time it’s been fine, just lately this thought came along…
who am I to make this offering? only the Priest who acts in the person of Christ can offer the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of the Beloved Son of the Father.

The words have never troubled me because I havenever thought of it as literally saying I have access to the boyd and blood of Christ to offer. also, I have a few prayters which recommend ofeering the wounds or blood or sometimes both for the souls in Purgatory. Or offereing the masses of the world each day for the intentions of peace and the Pope’s intentions. I alwyas thought of these words mroe as asking God to thinkof these things that are being done in the church, when he thinks of souls or other intentions, rather than implying that I have the worthiness to have access to Christ’s body and to ofer it up. I hope this makes sense…

40.png
serendipity:
The words have never troubled me because I havenever thought of it as literally saying I have access to the boyd and blood of Christ to offer. also, I have a few prayters which recommend ofeering the wounds or blood or sometimes both for the souls in Purgatory. Or offereing the masses of the world each day for the intentions of peace and the Pope’s intentions. I alwyas thought of these words mroe as asking God to thinkof these things that are being done in the church, when he thinks of souls or other intentions, rather than implying that I have the worthiness to have access to Christ’s body and to ofer it up. I hope this makes sense…
the worthiness is exactly what troubles me. Before Communion, we say “Lord I’m not worthy to receive You…”
So w/o His mercy, i’m not even worthy to receive.

I’m not sure I understand your conflict. We are never worthy of God, regardless of what we do. But the Divine Mercry chaplet is not phyisically offereing a body and blood in prayers, but saying that In recognition of what Jeus Christ has done for us, and in according with his guidance provodied to St. Faustina (and similar devotions revealed to St. Gertrude and others), please have mercy on us because of Christ’s sacrifice. We are not replicating the sacrifice in a sacrament, to do that we would need to be priests as you said, but we are only saying please have membrance of all that He has done for us and continues to do, and beg mercy through the membrance.

No we are not worthy to do even that, but Jeuss has reminded countless saints of hwo much he wants us to implore his mercry, and that if we were worthy, than it would not be mercry, but rather just rewards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back