Divorce and remarriage, secular correspondence

• Thread starter Thread starter Rovert
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rovert

I’m drawing a blank on the the Church’s stance against divorce and remarriage on non religious terms. Every other doctrine which is a fleshing out of God’s law has very sound reasoning behind it that doesn’t necessitate scripture; a reasonable person will agree murder is bad, theft is wrong, etc. What argument is there against divorce and remarriage that doesn’t rest upon the words of Jesus?

Last edited:
You don’t think it’s “sound reasoning” to caution people that marriage is for life, so they choose very wisely and are prepared to stand by their spouse through all kinds of trouble, rather than just letting them marry without thinking very hard about it and then get divorced and remarried any time things get difficult?

You don’t think it’s “sound reasoning” to make the parents of children stay together rather than one parent deciding to just leave and go start a new life or a new family someplace else?

If marriage is not going to last for life, then why bother getting married at all? You’re going to stand up there and say “Till death do us part” but not mean it?

No I believe it is sound reasoning, I was looking for an example of how doctrines creates an order society. I think I received the answer right after I proposed the question. I realized that it would be the case that the remarried person had two masters in a way, therefore they would be unable to commit 100% to either relationship; the one in the past and the one in the present, destabilizing the family. Thank you for your reply, I apologize for my inability to phrase it how I intended to. I do have a rebuttal however to the notion of marriage being for life, from a secular standpoint this is not true, though you and I would both agree that it is.

It was true for me and that’s all I know. Same for my parents, my in laws, and my grands, and the vast majority of my aunts and uncles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back