Do modern day Jews pray for the dead?

• Thread starter Thread starter Patrick2000
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Patrick2000

I am wondering if Jews in our time pray for the dead because I remember that in the Apocrypha/deuterocanonical it mentions that the Jews pray for the dead.

Even though that article mentions it, Jews also light a candle and recite the Kaddish (prayer for the dead) on each anniversary of a loved ones death.

Anyone know if any Protestant denominations light candles in memorium for the dead or anything else? While I’ve seen candles at Protestant services, I don’t recall any place for the faithful to do so?

Protestants do. Maybe not all but some absolutely do. On All Saints Day, which would be our All Souls Day, I guess. They ring the church bell as each person on a list of people who has passed away within the past year is read aloud.

My wife is Jewish. They have multiple prayers in their books asking God to deliver the dead from their purification. I remember that these were heavily utilized in the funeral and subsequent shiva for her grandmother years back.

Definitely, both on days of anniversary of the death of the deceased and on certain major Jewish Holy Days.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back