Do orders still have internal ([claustral (sp?)]oblates?

• Thread starter Thread starter foolishmortal
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

foolishmortal

I read about oblates who live, work and pray with the monks and/or friars who have taken their vows. Can you still do that?
I’m thinking of a vocation but I’d also like to do good without worrying about bills and what not until it seems that order would like to have me as a regular monk–if they should decide so. If they didn’t want me, I’d live with that if I like their charism.

Thanks!
Phil

I suspect that you need to separate out the issue of oblates and novices (or whatever position may be before novices).

My understanding of oblates are laity who follow the spiritual formation and prayer life of a particular order, have guidance of a spiritual director who is a member of the order, meet regularly, and otherwise live in the world - i.e. may have a secualr job.

I have observed individuals who may be candidates, living in community prior to mking the step to join, with the Trappists in Oregon. If they don’t join, I do not know if they choose to be oblates or not, but those as I understand it are two different things.

Hope that helps.

Some Benedictine monasteries do indeed have claustral oblates. For example, St. Peter’s Abbey in Saskatchewan. So its certainly still a possibility if you wanted to go that route. You would want to discuss that with the vocations director and oblate director of the community you wish to join.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back