Do our achievements count for anything on the day of judgement

• Thread starter Thread starter oliver109
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oliver109

As in are those who have achieved a lot less likely to die in a state of mortal sin? it has also been my belief that those who have achieved a lot spiritually are given extra graces to persevere in faith right until death, this is not to say that those who have failed to achieve much in life will not be given the gift of final perseverance but that God might give more grace to those who are prepared to make the effort from day one.

From my understanding there is some type of hierarchy in heaven, with saints for example being closer to God than than others, so the levels of good, or ‘spiritual achievements’ if you prefer to call them that, might well make a difference, but other than that, it is difficult to determine what criteria God will use. It really depends on what you mean by spiritually achieved a lot less. I just know God is merciful, but also fair.

Everyone is a Saint in Heaven, nobody in Heaven is not a Saint.

If I can use a metaphor, my understanding is that your reward in Heaven is an endless flow of God’s Grace. The things you do in life here on earth either “grow” or “shrink” your cup of grace. So if you were more open to God in this life, your cup will grow and you will receive more. If otherwise you will still fill your cup, God will completely fill up everyone cups, its just some will have more and some less. Everyone will be completely satisfied because they will receive an overflowing cup no matter what, God’s graces are endless.

Another thing that used to bother me but doesn’t anymore now that I have accepted it, is this: God makes you exactly how you were suppose to be made. Because of this there are some people who will be inherently “open to more graces” than you are. That’s just how it is. People that come to mind are: Mary the Mother of God, Padre Pio, Mother Teresa, you get the point…I used to be frustrated in thinking “I want to get the most out of Heaven, how come I just can’t be as Holy as other people.” The beauty of it is, is that God made you specifically how you are suppose to be made. You are a completely unique “tool” that has a completely unique purpose in life.

The point is, when Jesus talks about the greatest among us being the least among us we have to realize that the only thing you can choose do to in this life is be either open to what God wants you to do or not. Don’t worry about the rewards in Heaven because the second you start thinking about them the second your focus is pointed inward instead of toward your neighbor…sounds a lot like a particularly evil fallen angel I know…

…and I’m not saying: “don’t think about Heaven its bad!” Its just that God already knows where people are going to go, what people are going to receive in Heaven. The only thing you can do is trust that God has it covered and keep following and doing his will.

We have as Catholics the opportunity to offer all of our struggles and sufferings on the altar with Christ every Sunday. We can be like the little boy in the gospel that offered Christ a few fish and loaves and Christ fed the 5 thousand. We don’t know what’s happening behind the scenes. How much we are conscious of that matters. If we do a morning offering before getting out of bed, we are participating in the salvation of the world. We can impact the world for good. Take care of what’s your to take care of and leave the rest to God. You are precious to Him and He loves you.

Yes i certainly recognize that and appreciate what you are saying, what i am trying to find out is if people who live lives that are rich in achievement are more likely to be given that all important gift of final perseverance, that those who live wholesome lives are less likely to be refused the gift of final perseverance.

Oh, I’m not sure. What do you mean by achievement…I have heard that those who pray often especially the rosary that the Holy Mother we be there at your death. But I think “major achievements” is such a broad term that its kinda hard to tell if those achievements are meritorious. Best chance I can tell is if you are in a state of grace and are religious in your devotion.

I’m wary of the word “achievement,” but yes, those who earn more merits on Earth receive more rewards in Heaven. Those merits, of course, would not be possible but for the grace of God and would be for nought without the infinite merits of Jesus Christ, our Redeemer.

Jesus did tell the parable if separating the sheep (who did good deeds) from the goats (who ignored the plight of their fellow man).

At the same time, no amount of good deeds could get us into heaven without Jesus’ saving work on the Cross.

Achievements could be anything produced for the glory of God from writing good music to helping the homeless, maybe working as an exemplary cop or soldier who is never afraid to run from trouble to praying for others or writing for a newspaper for the advancement of social justice.

In that case I would say that the “achievements” are in fact a consequence of a virtuous life, IE practicing that which is good over a long period of life.

Absolutely, the question could be does a virtuous life count for anything on the day of judgement?

Oh yes, to me this comes down to time. Going back to the “cup argument” every moment in which you reject God is a “lost opportunity” if you will, to receiving more graces.

What about those who only do good deeds because they are scared of Hell and that they feel that by doing good things they feel they are more likely to get a positive reception on the day of judgement, in other words what about those who do good deeds with no love?

God gives us sufficient grace to come to Him. His desire is that we are justified, meaning that we come to love as He does, that we fulfill the Greatest Commandments ultimately. And this is done most fully and satisfactorily only with His help, as we enter a state of communion with Him beginning with faith in Him. But we’re only expected to do the best we can with what we’re given and some are given a very sad lot in this life and others much better, much opportunity, much knowledge, much grace. Reference Luke 12:48 & The Parable of the Talents to shed more light on this. At the end of the day God judges by the heart. And so the Church can teach, regarding our “particular judgement”, quoting St John of the Cross,
"At the evening of life we shall be judged on our love."

As the Church also teaches, mortal sin and persistence in it is a direct assault on love of God and neighbor, directly opposed to that love such that it finally destroys love in us. And, again, love is the very definition and measure of righteousness which is why it excludes sin and fulfills the law by its nature (Rom 13:10) and produces works such as those done “for the least of these” in Matt 25, or those prepared in advance for us to do as per Eph 2:10.

Last edited:
‘For to every one who has will more be given, and he will have abundance; but from him who has not, even what he has will be taken away.’— Matthew 25:29

So yes, the more you apply your earthly talents to good works the greater the rewards.

Any interest in recognition in heaven doesn’t sound right to me. Being with God would be everything - experiencing the peace, joy and love there - and I sort of expect any good I did on earth to be forgotten.

The trap everyone falls into is thinking that they have to be responsible for their own salvation; that they have to get everything right, so to speak. God does the lion’s share of the work in our redemption. Bringing yourself before Him for any reason, no matter how petty, gives Him opportunity to work with you and in you.

Sure, turning to Him with a selfish reason is not as good as turning to Him out of pure love, I’ll grant you that, but not turning to him at all is unimaginably worse. By all means, we should try to act out of pure love for Him, but even if we can only approach him for the most base, heartless, utilitarian reasons imaginable we are still at least turning to Him. We are still opening up the door toward further love of Him.

What about those who only do good deeds because they are scared of Hell
The good deeds still got done.
The hungry still got fed, etc.
Fear of Hell as a motivation is a low-level motivation, but it might be a necessary step for that person during their spiritual growth.
Hopefully as time goes on, their motivations become more pure.
But what if they died before they got to that point?
I’m inclined to believe that God will show mercy.

I was having a debate with some atheists on Yahoo Answers and they said that it is pathetic to do good things out of a fear of Hell when they themselves do good with no hope of a reward, i will admit i felt a bit ashamed and embarrassed to tell them that if i did not believe in God i would probably be doing the very bare minimum to get along in society and only doing things for my advantage, perhaps i am naturally selfish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back