Do u have a home shrine if so tell us about it thanks

• Thread starter Thread starter jay_2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jay_2

tell us about ur home shrine and who is it to and any pics would be good and go in to detail about thanx god bless

if u have a home shrine write about and if u have any pics of it that would great what does it mean to and who is it to mary jesus a saint thanx

This isn’t really a “shrine” but it works for me.

There is about 3 feet of wall space between the foot of the twin bed and a wall of floor-to-ceiling bookcases in the room my grown daughter left behind. In that space is a tall jewelry chest about 36 inches high by about 15" wide. Above it is a framed print of Bouguereau’s dramatic Pieta, and above that a substantial French bronze crucifix dating from about 1916. There is an icon stand and a candle on top of the jewelry chest. I rotate the icon according to the season or whim. A small, comfortable chair faces the chest, and beside the chair, next to the bookcase, is a bucket which holds prayer books, my journal, and the current issue of Crisis, CWR, and other literature. On the other side is a small table just big enough for a cup of tea and a rosary . . . Very cozy; not very monastic, but some pretty serious praying gets done there. :yup:

I understand that nobody cares whether I have a prayer space in my house but just wanted to contribute to show that it doesn’t take much to give you a privileged place for prayer – and it doesn’t have to be architecturally separate or excruciatingly devotional. An icon or statue and a candle on the dresser would do the job. I think the key is to keep the space clear of other junk.

40.png
mercygate:
This isn’t really a “shrine” but it works for me.

There is about 3 feet of wall space between the foot of the twin bed and a wall of floor-to-ceiling bookcases in the room my grown daughter left behind. In that space is a tall jewelry chest about 36 inches high by about 15" wide. Above it is a framed print of Bouguereau’s dramatic Pieta, and above that a substantial French bronze crucifix dating from about 1916. There is an icon stand and a candle on top of the jewelry chest. I rotate the icon according to the season or whim. A small, comfortable chair faces the chest, and beside the chair, next to the bookcase, is a bucket which holds prayer books, my journal, and the current issue of Crisis, CWR, and other literature. On the other side is a small table just big enough for a cup of tea and a rosary . . . Very cozy; not very monastic, but some pretty serious praying gets done there. :yup:

I understand that nobody cares whether I have a prayer space in my house but just wanted to contribute to show that it doesn’t take much to give you a privileged place for prayer – and it doesn’t have to be architecturally separate or excruciatingly devotional. An icon or statue and a candle on the dresser would do the job. I think the key is to keep the space clear of other junk.
this sounds very nice to me and i care about ur prayer place thank u 4 sharing

I have a large space on the top shelf of one of our bookcases in the living room that might meet your idea about a home shrine, although I haven’t thought of it that way. It has a large statue of Our Lady of Lourdes and a collage of things in a display box such as a copy of the Rule of St. Albert (we are Lay Carmelites) and other Carmelite holy cards and sacramentals, a rosary from the Knights of Columbus Ladies Auxiliary (of which I am a member), and a pin depicting the exposition of the Blessed Sacrament. We also have a crucifix hanging there along with a vase of roses. I don’t use it particularly for prayer time, but it is always there for us to look at whether we are praying or doing things around the house or just resting in front of the tube.

I do not have what I would say is a home shrine-but on my dresser is a white candle, a guardian angel statue, my bible and a daily devotional. Above that is a large ornate cross with my Grandmothers rosary and a Saint Micheal rosary. In our living room is an old silver crucifix which sits on our mantel along with a candle-which is more a holy reminder than a prayer space.

Our home shrine is a little wall shelf in the bedroom. It consists of a statue of the Holy Family, a crucifix on the wall above, some votive candles, a bottle of holy water, a small icon of Our Lady of Perpetual Help, and some holy cards. On the wall nearby is a picture of the Holy Father and below on the dresser is the family Bible. :bible1:

It’s kind of a humble hodge-podge, but it does the job for our family. :gopray2: :gopray:

I forgot to mention the votive candle, but I cannot light it because we have 4 very curious and agile cats who might burn down the house if they knock it over or set themselves on fire. Cats are like 2 year olds that can get into or onto almost anything they want and cause pure havoc! Ha!

in the hall facing the front door is an altarcito with a wooden folk-art retablo of OL Guadalupe from Mexico, on a serape-covered table, There is a candle in a holder with an image of the Sacred Heart, a large wooden wall-size rosary (which belonged to my grandmother), a vase of flowers, and a larger hurricane-lamp style candle holder, and above the image of our Lady is a crucifix, a wedding gift from FIL. the positioning is great for scaring off JWs and Mormons who knock on the door, and they are are usually too afraid to come in, and often won’t even accept a water bottle from me on a hot day.

This is one of a few…my favorite.
I keep it lit till morning.
Behind the Holy Family is a spray of dried wheat.
Above on the wall is a wooden picture of the Last Supper.

please any one how comes on here please put down hoe u do ur shrine i really need help please

jay 2:
if u have a home shrine write about and if u have any pics of it that would great what does it mean to and who is it to mary jesus a saint thanx
hi people please please write down so more about ur shrines coz i really need help please

jay 2:
hi people please please write down so more about ur shrines coz i really need help please
What sort of help are you looking for? I can’t do graphics and don’t have a picture but these things don’t have to be complicated.

A crucifix on the wall where you can focus on it while you pray could be your “shrine.” Or an icon. Or a statue with a candle on a table . . . Whatever you have and have room for . . . There’s no “recipe.”

In my front hall I have an icon of Our Lady with a bracket shelf under it. Sometimes I light a candle. Sometimes I put a little bouquet of flowers there . . .

My little shrine is in my bedroom, on the wall I have a wooden Crucifix, just at the foot of the cross on my dresser stands a 12" statue of Mary “Our Lady of Grace” draped over her is a Rosary. Attached to my dresser mirror is a icon of “Jesus I Trust in You.” Bible on my nightstand.
In the hallway is another Crucifix, in my kitchen a ceramic cross that says Glory to God in the Highest…my friends always kid me about how Catholic my house looks.😉

Dear Jay,

Maybe you should tell us more about what you would like to do? 🙂

There seems to be some urgency about this and you don’t seem to be getting the kind of guidance that you want. If you are more specific as to what you want to do and what you need this information for, people might be able to give you answers that are more appropriate to your needs.

There are other threads about home shrines here - maybe something in one of these will help you:
[forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=56342
forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=48675](http://forums.catholic-questions.or...catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=48675)
forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=42932
forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=278
forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=58176
forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=52866

Whitedove built hers in her backyard. It is very nice. search under the topic of prayer corners. That might help.

Peace,
Jen

Yes, I have a home shrine. I usually keep items on it that relate to the season and remind me of the bounty of the divine and my connection to it. I use a bookcase, covered with a cloth patterned appropriately for the season or holiday or holy day I am honoring.

There are often candles and flowers or greenery from nature included. The shrine is in the living room where the family can be often reminded of what is important, what our priorities are and what we are thankful for.

My friends and children often bring me items for the shrine, so it serves as a tool of awareness for many.

The process of changing the shrine for a holiday or season gives me an opportunity to pray and contemplate on the passing of time, the goodness of the divine, and the focus of each holy day. I really benefit from the “ritual” involved in putting up and taking down the items. In thinking about which things to include, and their meanings and symbolism
the shrine is like a 3 dimensional prayer.

cheddar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back