You can’t help being observant, which isn’t judgement.
If I behave in a manner that is scandalously dangerous to the physical or spiritual welfare of others, your observation of the fact isn’t so much judgement but …observation…and you’d probably not do yourself a favor in allowing your children around me, or desiring my company. Intelligent observation can lead to judgement, but is in itself the impetus to move your hand away from the fire instinctively because the heat of the fire is endangering your hand.
In any case, St Paul isn’t recommending that we avoid all wordly people because much of the world are unbelievers, and we simply cannot escape all:
1 Corinthians 5:9-10 (NIV)
Code:
"I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10 not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world."
It’s not a matter of being judgemental. One observes whether people are being sexually immoral. So if I’d observed or received someone else’s observation that there is an unscrupulous predator, it and keep my children away from him, and wouldn’t be keen on my family being drawn in by the person’s predatory behavior.
If it were a woman who flirted with my husband who was known through observation to seduce married men it would be a reasonable observation, and I would certainly not encourage any occasion to have her around my husband…so that recognizing dangers isn’t necessarily judging others, but common-sense observation with a common-sense response.
I once worried to a priest about some observations about another that were really very obvious…that perhaps it was uncharitable and judgemental of me to notice it.
“You can’t help being intelligent” was his only response. And that goes for all of us.