Do we leave our bodies when we die?

• Thread starter Thread starter Clonereject1138
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our souls leave our bodies to face judgement and either purgatory or damnation.

When Jesus comes again our souls will be reunited with our glorified bodies. We believe they will be the bodies we know now, but in glorified (perfect) form.

Read what our early Church fathers had to say on the topic here.

I often forget about the reunion of souls and bodies. And I am sure I can not imagine what a glorified body would look like or feel like. I sure hope I get one though! 😃

40.png
InSearchOfGod:
I often forget about the reunion of souls and bodies. And I am sure I can not imagine what a glorified body would look like or feel like. I sure hope I get one though! 😃
It’s called the Resurrection:

rosary-center.org/ll43n1.htm

If my resurrected body will be my glorified body, perfect in every way, what happens to this extra fifty pounds? I am guessing purgatory is like a spa?

I think this is the problem some of my Protestant friends have with praying to Saints. Whenever I try to explain to them the response is always “But they’re dead, you’re not supposed to pray to dead people” I think Protestants believe your body and soul stay dead until Christ comes again. I don’t think they believe in the particular judgement.

40.png
InSearchOfGod:
Thanks for the link, it is a great site! (off-topic: what does your signature translate to?)
Actually, it’s not entirely off-topic. It means “I came from God, and will return to God.” It’s from the poem that Mahler used for the fourth movement of his “Resurrection” Symphony. I’ve listened to that symphony for over 20 years, but it was not until my conversion that I heard the utter joy in it. (Never mind the fact that Mahler did not believe in the Last Judgement and the Resurrection of the Dead; the truth is in the music.)

40.png
philangcatholic:
I think this is the problem some of my Protestant friends have with praying to Saints. Whenever I try to explain to them the response is always “But they’re dead, you’re not supposed to pray to dead people” I think Protestants believe your body and soul stay dead until Christ comes again. I don’t think they believe in the particular judgement.
Some Protestants do believe that they will not be with God until judgement day. OThers believe that the dead either can’t hear or don’t care what is happening to their loved ones on earth. WHen you think about it, It is not a comforting theology for the bereaved.

40.png
YinYangMom:
Our souls leave our bodies to face judgement and either purgatory or damnation.

When Jesus comes again our souls will be reunited with our glorified bodies. We believe they will be the bodies we know now, but in glorified (perfect) form.

Read what our early Church fathers had to say on the topic here.
Yes, our souls leave our bodies when we die to be individually judged by God and get our reward which is either heaven, purgatory or damnation…
This soul is then reunited with the body for the general judgement which is a public confirmation of the individual judgement and sentence which could have been either heaven or damnation.
Those for heaven receive glorified bodies :dancing: .For those to be damned one just have to guess what their body would be like :crying: :banghead: .

Oh, so we die, go see God, get judged, then rise again and get judged infront of a whole mess of folks, izzat right?

40.png
Clonereject1138:
Oh, so we die, go see God, get judged, then rise again and get judged infront of a whole mess of folks, izzat right?
Colloquolly speaking, yes.

When each of us dies, our souls are immediately taken to the presence of God and judged. This is called the Particular Judgment. At this point we begin our eternal destiny. If we are going to hell, our souls go directly there. If we are deemed worthy of heaven, our souls will go directly to heaven, or if we are going to heaven but are in need of purification, we may go to Purgatory first (everyone in Purgatory will eventually go to heaven). Whatever our fate, our souls will stay there until the end of time.

At the Second Coming at the end of time, after a period of severe tribulation, those Christians still alive will be taken to heaven (what some Protestants think of as of the rapture). Then will occur the General Judgment. At that time the living and the dead will be reunited with their bodies and brought together in God’s presence and judged before all. Those who have already been judged in the Particular Judgment will be brought from wherever their souls were -heaven, hell or Purgatory-- and have their judgment confirmed before all.

After this, time and Purgatory will be no more and all will enter with their souls and bodies into their eternal destiny, either hell or heaven.

This is an extremely bare-bones sketch, so if you want to get the details, see the five articles I linked below:

rosary-center.org/ll57n1.htm
rosary-center.org/ll57n2.htm
rosary-center.org/ll57n3.htm
rosary-center.org/ll57n4.htm
rosary-center.org/ll49n6.htm

40.png
puzzleannie:
If my resurrected body will be my glorified body, perfect in every way, what happens to this extra fifty pounds? I am guessing purgatory is like a spa?
If you want to keep 50 extra pounds, I’m sure God would oblige.😃

40.png
philangcatholic:
Some do, some don’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back