Do you have to pray the whole Rosary

• Thread starter Thread starter Paris_Blues
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paris_Blues

Guys,

I know most people pray the whole Rosary (50 Hail Marys with the meditations with the Gospel, etc). I heard that it can be powerful. In order for that to happen, do I have to pray the whole thing in order for it to do whatever? I mean, it takes a long time to pray it and all and I end up not praying it at all except 1 Hail Mary and that’s all! What if I just pray 10 Hail Marys? Would that still work?

Paris Blues:
Guys,

I know most people pray the whole Rosary (50 Hail Marys with the meditations with the Gospel, etc). I heard that it can be powerful. In order for that to happen, do I have to pray the whole thing in order for it to do whatever? I mean, it takes a long time to pray it and all and I end up not praying it at all except 1 Hail Mary and that’s all! What if I just pray 10 Hail Marys? Would that still work?
I wouldn’t think about it quite that way. The Rosary is a powerful prayer, but it’s not a magic formula that only works if you say all the words just right. If you can only pray one decade, or even one Hail Mary, and that lifts your heart and mind to God, that is powerful too. As for the length of time the rosary takes, it can take as much time as you want to spend, but it should be possible to pray 5 decades in 10 to 15 minutes without rushing. You may also split up a rosary by praying 1 decade when you have a couple minutes free, then another decade later when you have a few more minutes free, and so on.

Joseph Bilodeau:
You may also split up a rosary by praying 1 decade when you have a couple minutes free, then another decade later when you have a few more minutes free, and so on.
Meaning like if I were to pray the Glorious Mysteries, I could pray the Resurection like at 9am than the Acension at 1pm, Decent of Holy Spirit at 3pm, etc. etc.?

Paris Blues:
Meaning like if I were to pray the Glorious Mysteries, I could pray the Resurection like at 9am than the Acension at 1pm, Decent of Holy Spirit at 3pm, etc. etc.?
Yes, you could do that. There is no requirement to finish the entire Rosary all at once. I sometimes have to split it up myself, especially if I’m praying the Franciscan Crown Rosary, which has seven decades. 🙂

space ghost:
…little bit of Rosary is better than no Rosary at all…
Except…
There is an Indulgence available for the rosary and while certainly even half a hail mary is valuable, there is a specific and significant grace available through an indulgence. The question should really be what are the requirements in order to recieve such an indulgence?
Let’s ask EWTN… 🙂
ewtn.com/vexperts/showmessage.asp?Pgnu=2&Pg=Forum12&recnu=33&number=427865
ewtn.com/library/ANSWERS/07783A.HTM

Others here hit on it: One Hail Mary said with fervent devotion blows away fifty said absent-mindedly. (Of course it would be great to say fifty fervently).

Let the Holy Spirit be your guide in prayer, since this is the source of prayer anyway. Start out with ten. See what happens.

Also, read the last section of the CCC. This oft-forgetten section is a great exposition of prayer.

Scott

P.S. Technically a whole rosary is ALL the mysteries. Meaning until recently, it was 150 Hail Mary’s. And now that there are the Luminous Mysteries, 200.

Dear friend

Any prayer said in your own words from your heart, the simplest movement of the heart deep in love with the Lord, raised and swept up in love with, to and from Him, blows away any Rosary ever said.

Any part of the Rosary said therefore, with that love in your heart, even if it is half a decade or a full decade is a Rosary that is above any Rosary said out of repetition, false sense of duty or dullness on the lips.

The Rosary is the ‘poor man’s’ meditation, it is not contemplation.

The Rosary is a prayer said with our Blessed Virgin Mother Mary throughout the life of Our Lord Jesus Christ (Our Blessed Virgin Mother Mary meditated on our Lord throughout her life, pondering all things in her heart, though she was gifted with contemplation as the Mother of God so she should be! She will aid your mediation on our Lord in this prayer of the Most Holy Rosary) bringing in this a deeper meditation on the Truine God and our Co-Mediatrix Mary.

You need only slowly pray one Hail Mary of that decade and mediate for half an hour on our Lord within that one Hail Mary to have offered the most Holiest and complete of prayers.

You are worrying about quality of prayer, when friend, the Holy Spirit prays, not you, you offer your prayer because the Holy Spirit aids you to do so, no prayer can be offered without Him.

At the beginning of any part of the Rosary you begin to say, start by saying a prayer to the Holy Spirit.

The Rosary is not about completing all of what is given possible to complete, surely that would only lead to spiritual pride to be a ‘completer’! The Rosary is about immersing yourself prayerfully in our Lord led there by our Blessed Virgin Mother Mary and any soul that is led to our Lord by His Mother is kept with Him forever.

Her Rosary is Her gift to you so that she may pray with you in deep meditation to aid souls and your soul. She will not neglect even a soul that has only prayed it once in their life. She will honour the soul that prays with all ernest even the smallest portion of her Blessed Rosary.

Worry is not the state of a Christian, worry is not something we are concerned with, we live in the Lord and we have nothing to fear or worry .

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

I have prayed one or two decades of the rosary on my way to work. I have prayed the whole rosary in bed, to help me sleep. But one of my favorite places to pray the rosary, besides my own church, is my partner’s church. He’s Seventh Day Adventist. Talk about people looking at you! I just smile and continue praying.
~ Kathy ~

Though last night I could not get to sleep and I don’t know why but I was looking through Fodor’s Hawaii book trying to find resturants and all when I could’ve been praying the Rosary! I was up till approx. 2:30am this morning reading! However, I finally turned off my lights and held my Rosary and tried to pray them…however I drifted off to sleep! I’m gonna have to finish the rest later!

you do not “hafta” say the Rosary at all, so there is no obligation to pray the whole thing at one time, or to pray certain mysteries on certain days. It is a private, not public devotion, even when prayed with a group. What is our obligation is to pray well, attentively, with proper intention and most of all faithfully. Better one hail Mary prayed well than 150 rattled off while the mind is elsewhere.

40.png
puzzleannie:
you do not “hafta” say the Rosary at all, so there is no obligation to pray the whole thing at one time, or to pray certain mysteries on certain days. It is a private, not public devotion, even when prayed with a group. What is our obligation is to pray well, attentively, with proper intention and most of all faithfully. Better one hail Mary prayed well than 150 rattled off while the mind is elsewhere.
It’s the min going elsewhere where my problem is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back