Do you keep Christmas Decorations until Feb. 2?

• Thread starter Thread starter CathMass
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CathMass

I just wanted to know if there are many of you who keep Christmas decorations up until February 2 the Feast of the Presentation.
I know a number of Churches who observe this practice and I heard that the Vatican keeps the Nativity scene and tree up until February 2.

:blessyou:

We took our religious things down the day after Epiphany because the new calendar calls this time ordinary time not Epiphany. I think it’s fine that the Vatican leaves its Nativity scene up until Feb 2, but if they do they shouldn’t have changed the Season of Epiphany to ordinary time, should they? It’s confusing to the rest of us who are told to obey these directives while the Vatican feels free to ignore its own directives. Someone should tell them that, shouldn’t they? Unless its only North America that doesn’t celebrate Epiphany until Feb 2 anymore. :confused:

The liturgical calendar is now in Ordinary time and that affects the Liturgy but does not mean that the celebration of the Birth of Christ has ended for the year. They are separate.

The Vatican does keep its tree and creche up until Feb. 2. At my house we start taking down the decorations on Jan. 6 but leave some things - especially the nativities - up until Feb. 2. I want to leave the tree up with just the lights but I don’t think my husband will go for it. 😃

Actually I heard the reason for keeping stuff up was because it marked exactly 40 days after Christmas and it really had nothing to do with Epiphany. The time after Epiphany lasted until Septuagesima Sunday in the old rite and not really on February 2.

Everything except our creche comes down on Jan 7th. Our creche stays up till Feb 2nd.

Gearoidin

I would keep them up till Lent if I had my way and have done that for years. But added hearts, shamrocks etc.

Our house is so small and with 4 kids 1 being 1 yr old it came down 1 week later. I think i would have brought it down sooner but the flu was making its way threw all of us…yuck.

Well, this post is making me feel better! My tree is still up because I haven’t gotten around to taking it down.

I typically like it down practically as soon as the presents are opened and have been known to take it down the day after Christmas. However, in concession to my husband being British and 12 days of Xmas, etc. I have left it up. Now it’s getting kind of ridiculous but Im thinking maybe I can get away with it until February 2 now that I have an excuse. I’m still enjoying having it up.

I’ve even joked that I’m going to take off the Christmas ornaments and decorate with hearts for Valentine’s, Eggs for Easter, Clovers for St. Patrick’s, etc. Next thing I know I’ll be able to put the Christmas bulbs back on it. Whadda ya think?

Amie

I guess people can put them up and take them down whenever they wish. As far as I know the decorations are not a Church requirement and have no religious significance.
I don’t think you will find (I might be wrong) anything about putting up decorations to celebarte Christ’s birth in Scripture, Aopostolic Tradition, or Church teaching.

apparently, it is a tradition in Polish households. I can see some are still up right on our block. However, since our college age sons are still home and can help us store all the things in the attic…they came down after Epiphany.

lol I think we keep our decorations up well into the summer, not to mention our Christmas tree :whacky: :dancing:

I ordinarily leave everything up at least until Valentine’s Day, but the tree (an artificial one) is coming down this weekend, because I’ve already had to clean up cat vomit with the “needles” in it, twice. (Yes, Linus, I’m looking at you! 😃 )

I’ll leave the creche up a while longer.

In our neighborhood it is not unusual to see people leave their outdoor Christmas lights up all year…even Santa on the roof!

40.png
Forest-Pine:
Do you mean* intentionally*? 🙂
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
That’s a lovely idea to keep the Nativity up until the Presentation ❤️

When I was in high school, I claimed the old artificial tree (just the top half) for my room. Decorated with white lights then adding decorations for the various holidays. It was a year round celebration.

Maggie**

I keep Christmas Decorations until Feb 2nd!!! That’s the tradition in my family,and I wish to keep it alive.:yup:

Mine come down with after Epiphany and the beginning of Ordinary Time. One year I did leave the tree up until June and on being queried as to why my Christmas Tree was still up, I replied (with a glint in my eye)…“It’s always Christmas here”.
Normally they come down after Epiphany though.

Barb

My Christmas decorations are about a dozen nativity sets that I keep up year-round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back