Do you maintain your 'temple'?

• Thread starter Thread starter YinYangMom
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

YinYangMom

Thinking about the Mormons, Jehovah Witnesses, Muslims who have strict guidelines from their church leaders on what one can/cannot do…

I was reflecting on the Catholic position of viewing ourselves as Temples of Christ…and wondering, how many Catholics - without having to be told by the Church as obviously as the other religions do - actually treat their bodies as temples.

Do we smoke?
Do we consume alcoholic beverages (beyond the 1 glass/wine medicinal purposes)?
Do we eat proportionately by the needs of our bodies?
Do we exercise to keep our organs/bones healthy?

Well since I started this poll I should divulge my weakness…and that’s the exercise part. I try, I really do but still fall short of what I should be doing.

I figure I have an obligation to keep myself around as long as God needs me - no sense in limiting my availability to him by not caring for my organs and bones - that includes exercising my mind. They aren’t perfect to begin with, of course, but they were given to me so I could do good things. I figure that begins with taking care of myself.

I’m rather glad our Church doesn’t feel it necessary to spell out specifically what we should do or not do in that sense. Anyone else feel the same?

I’m good for 2 out of 4…I don’t smoke and I don’t drink…but, my temple is desperatetly in need of a fall cleaning!:eek: I sit far to much, especially in the past 2 1/2 months…😉

Something struck me two lents ago…well, I suppose it was the Holy Spirit…because since then I’ve just been on this whole kick to get my behind in gear - as if I’ve been missing the boat all along.

Spiritually I found it interesting how Relevent Radio hit my geographical area last year, and then these boards - and with every program I listen to, every thread I read, that longing to know more grows inside -

and it spread over to my health and that of my family so we switched to the South Beach Diet way of eating which has made a big diference for us. I have done better about exercising on and off - just haven’t made a habit of it yet.

I guess I’m just curious if anyone else’s spirituality has flowed over to their physical well-being.

Hi. Interesting topic. I think the Holy Spirit has gotten me into an exercise routine.
I used to have the excuse I was too busy to find time to exercise. I prayed very hard for a solution and perseverance to maintain an exercise routine.

I used to get up each morning before work and pray. Then I had the revelation that I could do both. I can say my rosary while on my treadmill, or taking a walk. I can read my prayers while I tread along.

Now I have no excuse! Thanks Holy Spirit!

mea culpa…

I used to smoke a pack a day – now I don’t smoke at all. I used to drink two drinks a day – now I drink maybe once a week. I used to eat right – oh wait, no, no I didn’t. I used to exerecise – oh wait, I missed that one too.

CURSES!

😉

Corey

Another non-smoker here; never even tried the stuff, and I figure since I’ve reached the ripe old age of forty-one without it, I don’t need it anyway. I love an occasional drink, but I can’t honestly remember the last time I had one; my dad was an alcoholic and I’m so afraid of repeating his folly that it keeps me straight. I pretty much eat what I want, and I could exercise more, but I figure keeping the house cleaned up and walking everywhere instead of driving keeps me in okay shape. I can’t really say that my spirituality has ever affected me in this way, but who’s to say that it won’t some time down the line?

Don’t smoke, drink beer on a hot summers day and do not do any formal exercise. I like to think that I am trying to keep this temple fit for God…

As far as the Mormons and the Muslims being better at this than us…I have known Jack Mormons…those who drink and smoke. I have also known Muslims who have eaten pork and shellfish…as well as Jewish people who do the same, and Hindus who eat beef. Just because they have “laws” against it, does not mean that they follow those laws. The grass is not necessarily greener, or the people more holy, on the other side! God Bless -

I don’t smoke (i’m actually allergic)

I certinally don’t drink

I walk 5 to 13 miles a week

Umm eating…well I certinally don’t practice gluttany

I don’t smoke

I don’t drink

I don’t eat more than necessary

But I do not exercise.

I would suggest that drinking or smoking in moderation does not violate the body/temple principle. The much bigger temptation imho, is getting caught up in the cult of the body.

Scott

40.png
chimakuni:
As far as the Mormons and the Muslims being better at this than us…I have known Jack Mormons…those who drink and smoke. I have also known Muslims who have eaten pork and shellfish…as well as Jewish people who do the same, and Hindus who eat beef. Just because they have “laws” against it, does not mean that they follow those laws. The grass is not necessarily greener, or the people more holy, on the other side! God Bless -
Oh, I wasn’t suggesting at all that the Mormons or Muslims were better than us at this…just noting that their religion seemed to feel it necessary to spell it out like that.

Actually I am quite proud of our Church for not feeling the need to restrict us so - but to trust us instead to make good choices. There’s much more reward for doing what is right because you choose to rather than because you have to…at least that’s how I look at it.

From a parent’s perspective I’d much rather my children make good choices on their own which happen to please me than to have them follow my orders at every turn because I’d have no idea what they would choose if I wasn’t nearby.

Scott Waddell:
I would suggest that drinking or smoking in moderation does not violate the body/temple principle. The much bigger temptation imho, is getting caught up in the cult of the body.

Scott
Good point…I’ve known a few people who have taken it to that extreme - treating their bodies as their own temples instead of Christ’s. Not a good thing.

And when you consider the materialsim that often manifests itself in a cult of the body, the person affected is down a bad path. Aside from disliking the term itself, I am inevitably irritated when I hear about this “metrosexual” trend where one acts as if massages and thousand dollar cosmetics were basic necessities of life. “Only the best for me” is ultimately a sad way to live.

I feel like a failure. About the only thing I can brag about is not smoking. But I am working on the others. The most exercise I get is beating about the bush and pushing my luck. 🙂

Eating moderately is a tough one. I really am trying to get in the habit and attitude of saying grace before meals.

Marketing and portions in America for old single guys who don’t cook is way crazy! :cool:

heh edit: middle aged…

Don’t smoke, drink in moderation, and have hypoglycemia so I have to watch what I eat. Unfortunately, I didn’t figure out the latter until a few weeks ago, so I need to increase my exercise to get rid of years of donuts. 😃

i don’t smoke,

I drink on occasion, at parties etc.

I eat less then I should (college budget)

I don’t exercise, at all.

I’m not that healthy either. I guess I shoudl eat more, and maybe join a gym or something.

Don’t smoke; quit in 1973.

Don’t drink at all, but may move to occasional glass of wine/bottle of beer as I move from SoBap’ism to Catholicism.

Eat right? Some would say “Not really.” I eat what I want, and if that means bacon or smoked sausage and eggs, then that’s what’s for breakfast. However, I do eat in moderation, meaning that I don’t pig out, even at buffet restaurants. I hate that so-full-I’m-sick feeling.

Exercise–how does 20-50 miles a day of hard-core road bicycling, 3-4 times a week sound? Only problem–I can’t keep that going through the winter 'cause I hate riding in the cold, so I have to whip myself into shape again every spring.

DaveBj

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back