Do You Pray Before Eating a Meal?

• Thread starter Thread starter contemplative
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

contemplative

Do You Pray Before Eating a Meal? What is your prayer?
I
have been praying this one for years!

Bless us, O Lord, and these Thy gifts which we are about to receive from Thy bounty. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

We’ve been “saying grace” as a familiy for several years at home and when we eat out (we use the same prayer as you). At first the boys were uncomfortable with it, but now they won’t let us get away with not doing it. After you’ve done it a while and find that none of the other diners have leapt on their chairs to loudly denounce you as Catholics, you wonder why you made a fuss in the first place. As a matter of fact, other people often come to our table to say how nice it is to see a family pray together.

40.png
contemplative:
Do You Pray Before Eating a Meal? What is your prayer?
I
have been praying this one for years!

Bless us, O Lord, and these Thy gifts which we are about to receive from Thy bounty. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.
Yup. Same one as you whether at home or eating out. When I’m having a Cheetos attck I add a little request that they make me as lean as Chester the Cheetah. Haven’t had much luck with that one though.

Yes, before every meal, wherever we are

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

Yes, my father taught me from my childhood.

In Christ,
selvaraj

I don’t know what is wrong with my. I attended catholic schools when I was young, and we always said grace before lunch period, but for some reason once in a while I still forget to pray before I eat. I am getting better and I checked yes, because I intend to and often do remember and if I realize that I forgot, then I still say a prayer, albeit it might be a bit late.

40.png
serendipity:
I don’t know what is wrong with my. I attended catholic schools when I was young, and we always said grace before lunch period, but for some reason once in a while I still forget to pray before I eat. I am getting better and I checked yes, because I intend to and often do remember and if I realize that I forgot, then I still say a prayer, albeit it might be a bit late.
Try the Mexican tradition. They pray after the meal also. Then you shouldn’t forget.😉

This is something I’m terrible about. It’s something my family just never did when I was growing up. I always say I’m going to start doing it but I always forget. When I pray before I go to bed during the part where I thank God for all the good stuff of that day, I always include the food I ate so I’m not a total ingrate :o .

Evry night at dinner time. We rotate around the table as to who says the prayer. Sadly when I’m alone I often forget.

We pray before every meal. Each child always wants to be the one to lead us in prayer so we now have a rotating schedule.

Paris Blues:
Yes, even if it’s a snack!😛
Yup.
Me too.
I usually shorten the prayer up a bit if it’s a snack though. Usually if I consume anything the least I do is cross my forehead.

I have known about the traditional practice of praying after a meal too but I have not yet made myself do this. I believe it would take a bit of work to make it a habbit but it should be very fruitful once it becames a habit.

I do my best, and succeed about 99 percent of the time. At home, it has led my dad and step mom to start asking questions (good ones). In the public school I work at, it raises a few eyebrows.

When I volunteered for a radio station a few months back, we all had a thank you dinner at the end of the pledge drive. It was Friday, so we went to a sea food restaurant. Anyway, when all of us were sitting down, we said grace together as a group. All 50 of us. Boy, was that a sight to behold in a public place. For the most part, the response was positive, and even got a few people coming up to our table asking questions.

In Christ,
DJ

Almost always…I was going to say just yes, & then I remembered that I have forgotten 2x just this week!
I am glad to be reminded about the grace after meals; this is also a Holland Dutch tradition.(It would have been a lot more, well, 😛 graceful, than trying to:o mumble a prayer with the food all ready in my mouth!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back