Do you think that it is ok to pray for

• Thread starter Thread starter gabrieller
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gabrieller

I have been struggling with my weight for years. Now, my health is being severly effected by it and I must do something to correct the situation asap. Do you think that it is ok to pray for weight loss? Also, if you were going to say a Novena for this purpose, which one would you pray?
Thank you for taking the time to read this post. This is a topic that I am really morally wrestling with so all of your (name removed by moderator)ut would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Gabrielle

Dear Gabrielle - I also struggle w/ my weight, and I think it’s definitely ok to pray for assistance in weight loss.

We can also pray for the cardinal virtues, which will greatly assist us in all areas of life, including weight loss. The cardinal virtues are prudence, justice, fortitude, and temperance. The Catechism defines temperance as “the moral virtue that moderates the attraction of pleasures and provides balance in the use of created goods” (CCC1805). That applies to food, too, and in asking the Lord to give us temperance, we should be better able to eat in moderation.

I’ve had friends who recommend a Catholic approach to weight loss called Light Weigh (lightweight.com). It focuses on teaching a reliance on God, rather than turning to food to satisy us. A suggestion (and it might be from Light Weigh) is to have Holy water w/ you always (in your purse) and to annoint yourself w/ Holy water and say a “Hail Mary” when you’re tempted to eat between meals - asking the Lord to teach you the difference between physical hunger and emotional eating.

As far as novenas - have you ever prayed the 54 day rosary novena? You pray the rosary for 54 days, asking Our Lady to assist you w/ your need. The Blessed VIrgin Mary will assist you.

May God and the Blessed Mother help you in this situation. I’ll be praying for you, too. Kate

St. Pio would be a good intercessor for you. He once fasted with no food for 40 days and actually gained weight. I mentioned him because through the power of the Holy Spirit he was in full controll of his body.

Romans 8:
12] So then, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh –
13] for if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body you will live.
14] For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.

Trust in God, He will provide

Yes, I definitely think it is ok to pray for your health, including losing weight that is putting you at risk.

–Bill

I just wanted to thank everyone for help with this matter. You have all given me some really great suggestions. Thank you so very much!

Of course, it is ok to pray for a healthy body and to overcome our weaknesses!!

I want to second the suggestion on the Light Weigh program www.lightweigh.com - it is a spiritual weightloss program - that gives you such weapons to fight the battle. The Catholic Church in all its fullness is such a treasure. Suzanne Fowler helps the participants through a 12 week video series teaching all the time. We have saints each week to walk with us along the journey and to intercede for us. During the different weeks, she discusses Scripture - saints - sacraments - Sacred Heart - guardian angels - Divine Mercy - Our Blessed Mother - the gifts of the Holy Spirit, just to name a few. She has a tremendous devotion to St. Therese and her little way. We all offer our sacrafices for the good of those we love. It makes it all so meaningful by having a “sacrafice focus”.
I highly recommend it! I’ve lost many pounds but that is only part of the program.

Dear Seek1st,

I have spent some time today looking into the program that you suggest. The only problem that I have is that I have been doing Weight Watchers for over a year now and have spent tons of money there. I think that my husband would not be so happy with me switching mid-course now. I know that I am in desperate need of a more spiritual solution to this problem.
I am wondering if they have ever published any books on their program. Maybe I could do some of it by myself instead of doing a program that I have to pay $120.00 for?
I am a little overwhelme at the moment but I will definitely consider it. It sounds like such a great program.
Thanks again for all of your help.
Gabrielle

In working to overcome an out-of-control temper, in addition to confession, prayer, and spiritual reading, I offered my temper to Jesus in the Offertory, telling Him that I could not master it, but knew that He could.

The results were miraculous. I still have to watch it, so as not to backslide, but people who know me now, cannot believe that temper was my cross for so long.

God is so merciful and awesome! I discovered, on the other side of my battle with temper, that as I had been striving to control my temper, God cured other vices of mine.

Without conscious effort on my part, by the grace of God, I had stopped gossiping. I didn’t realize it until a friend mentioned to me in passing that I was her model for charitable discussion of others and for turning the subject when others began to gossip after saying something about taking any personal differences to the person involved first.

(Need I admit, that I used to enjoy gossip, too.) There are other vices I had that God has removed my taste for, too, while I was working on only my temper, or so I thought. I pray that you, too, will be abundantly blessed by your striving to overcome your cross.

May God bless you as you battle your own inclinations. May our Blessed Mother intercede for you so that you are surrounded by abundant graces as you strive to do God’s will and master your hunger. It may be impossible for us to do in our own strength, but everything is possible with God’s help.

In Christ’s peace and joy,

Robin L. in TX

a book I recommend for anybody with food and eating issues is Getting Free by Bert Ghazi, found in many Catholic book catalogs. It deals with the fundamentals of attachment to food, cigarettes, alcohol etc. and the spiritual aspects.

puzzleannie,
Thank you for the book suggestion, I will definitely be reading it!!!

Bless you!
Gabrielle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back