Do you use an Advent Wreath?

• Thread starter Thread starter milimac
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

milimac

Do you use an Advent Wreath during the Advent season? If so, where did you get it? I did an online search for “Advent Wreath” on WalMart, Kmart, Target, King Soopers, Safeway, Kohls, and Hallmark. Hallmark had one (sort of). Didn’t look very traditional and it wasn’t in stock. There aren’t any Catholic stores nearby either. Do you just buy a wreath and candles seperately?

History of the Advent Wreath:
catholiceducation.org/articles/religion/re0132.html

We got ours at Hallmark. It’s just a plain green wreath with the 4 candles. I meant to dress it up with some ribbons or something, but here it is almost the second week of Advent and I haven’t yet :o . We got the last one in the store at Hallmark last Saturday.

Try searching online for a Catholic store that might carry some. Maybe Leaflet Missal? www.leafletmissal.org

God Bless!

Yes, I have one that I’ve been using for years which I purchased at a local religious articles & gift store.

Yes…plain greens woven with a thin silver ribbon…4 clear glass votive candle olders…plain white candles

the answer is not to shop at stores that do not acknowledge Christmas, let alone Advent. most religious gift catalogs carry them - autom, catholic direct, leaflet missalette. the printery house etc.

or you can simply by an artifical wreath at a craft store, you can use free-standing candle holders, or buy metal candle holders that are meant to be attached, or in a ring. then purchase the candles or use colored ribbons. Make sure all the materials are fire resistant.

I got a metal candle holder ring and the 3-purple-1-pink candle set at the only place that has them around here, a Catholic store. Then I went to Wal-Mart and got this really nice (made of this cloth-like plastic material) green wreath with purple, plastic berries and a (plastic… I think) twig-like wreath on the base. (Too much detail? 😛 Can you tell I really like the wreath?)

Actually, one of the purple candles broke in half so now I don’t know what to do, right now it looks really ugly with the top half hanging by the wick… I haven’t been able to find purple candles of this size on their own, they always come in the 3-1 set… :crying:

40.png
milimac:
Do you use an Advent Wreath during the Advent season? If so, where did you get it? I did an online search for “Advent Wreath” on WalMart, Kmart, Target, King Soopers, Safeway, Kohls, and Hallmark. Hallmark had one (sort of). Didn’t look very traditional and it wasn’t in stock. There aren’t any Catholic stores nearby either. Do you just buy a wreath and candles seperately?

History of the Advent Wreath:
catholiceducation.org/articles/religion/re0132.html
I bought mine from here:
catholicmoms.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=C

(Saints Market)

I got the “Journey to Bethlehem” wreath. It is lovely and I like how you can see the whole Christmas story. I have put a green and gold “wreath” in the centre and it looks really nice. I also bought a book “Advent and Christmas with Padre Pio” and I am finding it very helpful in making this a more spritual Advent. I’ll change the purple/pink candles to white on Christmas Day, add a bit more colour and use it till Jan 6th.
I have made them in the past using a simple green wreath and white candles

Gearoidin

We had one with really little candles, and my dad said “If those candles could talk, their voices would be squeaky.”

My mom went out and bought nicer candles, but they drip and drip… I think they look pretty neat. Nobody else does.

Many years ago, when my oldest son was in the 2nd grade, his CCD teacher gave him materials to create an Advent wreath - only it was a small rectangular box with 4 holes poked in the top, and candles. We dressed it up as best we could, and used it for a couple of years.

This year, my 5-year-old came home with materials for an Advent wreath - two heavy-duty paper plates stapled with the plates facing each other, candles, a sprig of artificial pine, and a candy cane! Oh, and “X’s” marked on top of the paper plates to show parents where to poke the holes for the candles to be placed.

Needless to say, I had to dress that one up, too…but now we light a candle every Sunday evening, saying prayers to prepare our heart’s for Christ’s coming… 🙂

I made my own, I bought 3 violet and 1 rose, 7 day vigil glases, from a catholic store and put them inside a wreath that I bought 16 years ago at Woolworth’s. I light it every day during Advent, when I pray (not just on Sundays). If you want, you can get Advent prayers for every day from ewtn.com or you can just use it during your daily prayers.

I had an advent wreath frame in my basement. I don’t know for sure where I got it.

I bought 3 purple candles and 1 pink candle at a dollar store. Then I went outside and cut some small branches from an arbor vitae tree and and a yew bush. Then I used some wire to tie the whole thing together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back