Does anyone know a good Christian resource for senior citizen devotional

• Thread starter Thread starter Tommy999
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tommy999

Hello all. Does anyone know of a good resource for doing Christian group devotionals with elderly citizens in nursing homes that you could share with me? I am a layperson volunteer who participates in a weekly “hymn sing” at a private non-denominational senior facility.

I am responsible for preparing a devotional talk in the 5-10 minute range that focuses on spiritually encouraging residents who tend to be a group of 15-20 seniors, most of whom are 80+ with varying degrees of dementia. Some appear to be normal cognitively. Most are from Protestant backgrounds.

So far they like what I’ve been doing, which is finding Bible stories and trying to apply basic Christian principles from them. The problem is that I’m finding it harder to keep thinking of new stuff each week.

For example, I recently used the story of the ten lepers in Luke 17 to emphasize how we should be like the grateful one who came back to thank Jesus instead of being like the other nine, and that when we “count our blessings” in life we often see how the Lord has been at work in our lives in ways we may have taken for granted. i ended by singing the hymn “Count Your Blessings” and asking if any residents wanted to share a blessing in their life that they were grateful for.

Any new material or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
“The Word Among Us” (wau.org) is just superb. It is a monthly booklet type magazine that comes out about once a month. It lists the full readings from daily mass, and gives a one page devotional thought about one or more of the readings, ending with a super-short prayer. Good longer articles too! We read it as a family daily. I’ve given gift subscriptions to at least four other family members. One of them is a committed evangelical (non-Catholic), and another is a long term non-church going Catholic, and they both love it.

The thing is too, I’m a revert. In my Protestant days I was exposed to a fair number of these daily devotional type booklets from various radio preachers. This is as good or far better than any of those (as good as some of them are).

Last edited:
Thanks, VeryBlessed. I just glanced at it and already see some good ones I may use in the future. Much appreciated. 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back