There are benefits to both but something in defense of books.
Sometimes one can remember things better when he can visualize their location on a printed page. Or even when it’s highlighted in yellow or underlined. Some of this ability is being incorporated on ebooks but it seems it’s not that easy yet to use.
And at the risk of sounding like a privacy nut (which I am willing to do because I am to some extent a privacy nut), when I read a paper book, Amazon doesn’t know when I’m reading it, how long I’m reading it, which passages I read most, how long it takes me to finish books of different types, and what annotations I make in it. Nor can they share that information with someone else.
Here is an interesting article, albeit by a biased source:
spideroak.com/privacypost/cloud-security/is-your-kindle-tracking-your-reading-habits/
(This is a company that is, AFAICT, trying to sell people tracking-free cloud services, but I don’t think their information is incorrect.)
I know there are people these days who don’t care that all of this information about them is being collected (and in some cases sold) and that their reading habits can become a commodity to be used by anyone who wants to sell them something. They feel that the convenience of having things they like marked directly to them is worth the loss of privacy.
I have one friend who just doesn’t understand why the large and growing amount of information that is being collected creeps me out. I don’t understand why she doesn’t mind. When we talk about it, it’s like we’re from different planets.
I’m the first to admit that my life is boring and there is nothing scandalous that somone could find out, because there’s nothing to find. (“Ooooh, look, she’s reading Austen’s ‘Persuasion’ again, alert the media!!”) That doesn’t mean I want the minutiae of my life collected and analyzed.
So for those of you who don’t mind, that’s fine. But if there is anyone else who does mind this kind of thing, you might want to keep this aspect of e-books in mind.
–Jen