Does Easter Vigil service count as Easter Sunday?

• Thread starter Thread starter carol_marie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

carol_marie

Hi. Does the Saturday Easter Vigil service count as Easter Sunday or if we go to that, should we also go the following day on Easter? I will be bringing my 4 children (first Easter as Catholics) and I want them to “get the full effect” so to speak so I’m wondering if we’ll celebrate the Risen Christ during the vigil or is that not spoken about until Sunday?? Thanks!

Easter Vigil definitely counts as an Easter Mass, but if your children are young it might be too much for them. It is not supposed to start until after sunset and at our parish at least, it goes for 2.5-3 hours, which is a late night and a long time for little ones to sit still. I would recommend taking young ones on Easter Sunday morning. However, we usually have a few young children present to be baptized at our Easter Vigil, and they seem to be fine (most fall asleep on a parent at some point).

However if you have teenagers and they are willing, I would absolutely recommend the Easter Vigil. It’s my favorite Mass of the entire year.

It’s all about Him! It’s an amazing Mass, but be warned, it’s long! Esp. if there are lots of catechumans, candidates, marriages to be convalidated, etc. I’d be hesitant to expect a little kid to sit through it.

Yes the Easter Vigil does count for Sunday and the Risen Christ will be celebrated. It is a tradition that stems from our roots in Judaism. According to Jewish tradition, a day begins at sundown and ends the following day at sundown. Therefore, Easter Sunday begins at sundown on Saturday and ends at Sundown on Sunday. This is also the reason many parishes offer a saturday evening mass on a weekly basis. Of course the rules have been stretched somewhat and there is not a strict observance of sundown to signal the beginning of Sunday. If there was they would have to have a 10 PM mass on Saturday’s during times in the summer if you lived far enough north.

Congratulations on becoming Catholic and I hope that you and your family enjoy your first Easter Vigil Mass.

As I know it, it does count for Sunday. It is over 2 hours long. Baptisms, Confirmation, and First Communion happen during this mass. It starts out as a continuation of Thursday and Fridays masses. There are 7 readings and 7 Psalms that cover the creatation of earth and man and moves forward through the bible up to Christ’s crucifixion. For me. I like the Sunday mass because it totally focuses on Christ rising. “Jesus Christ is risen today, alleluia”:whistle: Makes a stronger impact for me Sunday morning.

However if you go to the vigil, decide it is running too long and leave at the end of the first hour it doesn’t count. :rolleyes:

You have to attend a whole mass. So don’t call the office Monday morning and ask if attending an hour of the Vigil satisfies your obligation. People do that. :banghead:

awe, come to the Easter Vigil, come see us get baptised, confirmed and our first communion! :amen:

40.png
mommy:
awe, come to the Easter Vigil, come see us get baptised, confirmed and our first communion! :amen:
Yes, that is why I am going also (except for the Baptism part - already did that) So I wanted my children see me be rec’d into the church but I am a bit worried that it’s going to be too long for them - especially for my 6 & 2 year olds. At any rate, I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!! I am going to LOVE LOVE LOVE being Catholic - it’s been a long road and I will be happy to finally be home! God Bless you all, CM

carol marie:
Yes, that is why I am going also (except for the Baptism part - already did that) So I wanted my children see me be rec’d into the church but I am a bit worried that it’s going to be too long for them - especially for my 6 & 2 year olds. At any rate, I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!! I am going to LOVE LOVE LOVE being Catholic - it’s been a long road and I will be happy to finally be home! God Bless you all, CM
Two more days to go! Congratualtions. My 15yoa son will also enter Saturday.

I prefer the Easter Vigil to the Easter Sunday Masses.

That is because you get the (pardon the pun :whistle: ) two-timers that only come at Easter and Christmas during the Sunday Masses.

I do not mind it going 2-3 hours even with all the readings (7 Old Testament, 1 Epistle, 8 Responsorial Psalms, and the Gospel). It is also a treat to watch those who are becomming full members of the Church.

PF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back