C
Contarini
Guest
But can you admit that you think this only because of your theological presuppositions? There is nothing in the text itself to indicate this.I’m sure this would be a reasonable answer IF the Scriptures were from men and not from God. I would argue that the story Jesus told of Lazarus and the rich man was a true story, and the people who heard it knew who the rich man was.
Maybe because God is not a fundamentalist Protestant.If Judith was truly Scripture, why didn’t God use the same device?
I find it hard to believe that God would inspire books looking so often as if they contradicted each other and then expect us to play elaborate mental games in order to convince ourselves that they really don’t.I cannot believe that God would contradict His own written word in any way.
Well, adoptive in the first case–I presume that you aren’t questioning the virginal conception!I have mentioned before about the genealogy of Jesus in Matthew and Luke, and pointed out that Jesus had 2 parents (Joseph and Mary),
A clever argument, and it may be true, but the text itself never suggests this.and that I found a 3rd or 4th century commentary that mentioned the genealogy found in Matthew was that of Mary.
If it was normal, can you give another example of it? I grant that this is possible, but it is somewhat of a stretch.The different fathers of Joseph, again, points to the 2 different genealogies. Since God made the two (husband and wife) into one, it was normal for the husband to be named, even when giving the wife’s genealogy.
If by this you mean that all of them can be explained away with sufficient ingenuity and guesswork, then you may well be right. There came a point where it seemed to me that the level of stretching and twisting necessary to explain away all these contradictions did a lot more damage to the integrity of Scripture than simply accepting that God chose to inspire a text with many of the discrepancies and problems you’d expect in any large collection of human writings.I have no doubts about the canonicity of the NT, and I have not found any contradictions that remain once they have been examined.
Edwin