Does God really care about liturgical orthodoxy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter genevieve4
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
All we know for sure is that someone is going to be in for an awakening when they find out.
 
All we know for sure is that someone is going to be in for an awakening when they find out.
I’m thinking this is going to be the least of the surprises in store. Let’s pray they’re all good ones.
 
In the Old Testament, God gave very specific and rigid rules to the Israelites about how he was to be worshiped, how they were to give offerings for atonement and for worship.

These are the very roots of our liturgy today, because Christ is the new Lamb given for atonement. So, yes, I would say that God cares how he is worshiped, and if the liturgy is too far outside the rubrics, I would tend to say that He would be at least somewhat offended.

For example,

Leviticus Chapter 10. Abihu and Nadab were Aaron’s sons (priests).

1During this time Aaron’s sons Nadab and Abihu took their censers and, strewing incense on the fire they had put in them, they offered up before the LORD profane fire, such as he had not authorized.

2 Fire therefore came forth from the LORD’S presence and consumed them, so that they died in his presence

What made their incense profane? I don’t know. Maybe it deviated from the recipe for incense that God had given earlier in the Old Testament; He even specified in detail the ingredients and plants to be used to make the incense.

Obviously we do not follow the rules of Leviticus today, but I think the Pentateuch gives a good sense of the style and some would even say rigidity that the Lord desires in our worship of Him.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top