Does Jesus state He is God?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Light1111
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Light1111

Guest
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone in the room can help me. My brother is a bit more of a Biblical scholar than I am, and he frequently tells me things I never knew. I wanted to double-check something he recently mentioned.

He said that at no point in the Bible does Jesus state that He is God’s son, that He is God, that He is Divine, or that a new church (entirely separate from Judaism) must be erected with Him worshiped at its center, etc. In essence, according to my brother, one needs the direction of the Catholic Church to follow Jesus as God’s Son, as a part of the Holy Trinity that comprises our God, because otherwise, strictly from reading the Bible, you never hear that directly from Jesus Christ Himself. One would merely assume a new Jewish prophet was being considered, and would take that prophet’s direction as a portion of that which one would move forward with, in his Judaism–but one would never mistake the words Jesus Himself uttered, as indicating a new, separate church, divergent from Judaism.

Is he correct? And if not, does anyone know the pertaining verses?

Thank you sincerely and peace!
 
In ancient Judaic law (and possibly today’s as well), a first born son was considered equal to his father.

When Jesus claims to be the Son of the Living God, he was thus claiming equality with God!

Also in general:

John 8:58 Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.” and several similar passages.

When Christ says “I AM”, he is using the name of God “I Am, who I AM” (“Yahweh” in Aramaic). Christ was claiming the Lords name as His own, which back then was tantamount to claiming the very identity of the Lord!
 
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone in the room can help me. My brother is a bit more of a Biblical scholar than I am, and he frequently tells me things I never knew. I wanted to double-check something he recently mentioned.

He said that at no point in the Bible does Jesus state that He is God’s son, that He is God, that He is Divine, or that a new church (entirely separate from Judaism) must be erected with Him worshiped at its center, etc. In essence, according to my brother, one needs the direction of the Catholic Church to follow Jesus as God’s Son, as a part of the Holy Trinity that comprises our God, because otherwise, strictly from reading the Bible, you never hear that directly from Jesus Christ Himself. One would merely assume a new Jewish prophet was being considered, and would take that prophet’s direction as a portion of that which one would move forward with, in his Judaism–but one would never mistake the words Jesus Himself uttered, as indicating a new, separate church, divergent from Judaism.

Is he correct? And if not, does anyone know the pertaining verses?

Thank you sincerely and peace!
There is a much more fundamental issue at play here. Your brother is reading the bible as if it alone contains everything that a Christian needs to know and believe. The bible never makes that claim of itself and the early church never thought of the bible in that way. The bible did not even come about in its current form for nearly 400 years after the death and resurrection of Christ. To read the bible in isolation of everything else is to invite erroneous interpretations. I would urge you and you brother to at least study the church fathers and see what they had to say about these issues. These are folks to ran around with the apostles, who ran around with Jesus! They have a much stronger ability to interpret scripture than we do, given that they were there and understand the context in which these documents created.

Going through that work will shed a whole new light on these issues.
 
some scholars think that Matthew 16:17 deny that, this is what they understood. Your brother may be one of them !
 
The apostles were specifically chosen by Jesus and these apostles plus His other disciples/followers spent 3 years time with Jesus and they were taught by Him. John 6:70, Acts 1:1-9

After Jesus returned to His Father in heaven, the Father John 14:26 and the Son John 16:5-7 sent the Holy Spirit to guide these men (God’s chosen leaders of His Church) Matthew 16:17-19, Ephesians 2:19-21 into all truth. John 16:13 It is this one Church (the one that has the keys of the kingdom of heaven) that is the support and foundation of the Christian faith. 1 Timothy 3:15

Jesus commanded His Church (Church leaders) to make disciples for Him of all the nations through baptism and these Church leaders were also commanded to teach these new disciples to obey God’s commands. Jesus promised to be with this one Church until His Second Coming. Matthew 28:18-20
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top