Does real life have to be simple to be spiritual?

• Thread starter Thread starter Anna_s_Mom
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anna_s_Mom

in 1920 Mother Theresa left a comfortable life and gave away all of her worldly posessions. All in the persuit of spiritual simplicity.
Do you have to throw away your day planner to get closer to God? If you renounce your belongings and give full attention to spiritual life will you reap benifits? Most people have to work and have a social life, but in the middle of that chaos you have to keep a spiritual perspective. That means giving up certain things like cutting down on TV. In other words can you jam pack your palm pilot and still keep God as your co-pilot?

Dear Anna’s Mom,
You ask a good question. Probably not, because some of Christ’s early followerers were wealthy people. If you read Acts you’ll see that Paul stayed with influential people. They were important in building up the early Church. I think everyone is called to a different vocation. Probably though, we should practise giving up our attactment to worldly things as much as possible.

It is an empty exercise if you just go through the motions of giving up something, without simultaneously giving up the desires that cause you to create a busy, full life.
If your desires are leading you away from a spiritual life, then give them up. If that means you have to give up worldly possessions or acts then do it, but make sure that you get rid of the desire by replacing it with prayer or other acts that lead you closer to God.
A simple life doesn’t mean that it is boring or empty, it just means that you act simply and in tune with your beliefs and your goal of moving closer to God. A busy life full of work, family and other interests can be simple if it is full of certainty and confidence that it is heading in the right direction.
It may be that God is not so much your co-pilot, but your autopilot taking you to the right destination if you trust in Him, leaving you to enjoy the ride !

Hello Anna’s Mom,
I saw your thread about if real life have to be simple. I think what we should understand about spirituality is not whether we start living the ascetic life of the desert fathers or the mortified life of St. Francis or other great saints before we can be spiritual.St. Therese of Lieseux knew she could not practice the strict living of the discalced carmelite that severe fasting and abstitence she came out with what she called the little way.In summary she said if I cannot not do these things then the life works that I do i will do with the love of God. There lies true spirituality when we do things for the love of God. There are three states of life recognised by the church the laity, religious and priestly in whatever state you belong there is a spirituality for that state that the church in her wisdom offers of her children.The spirituality of the priest is different from that of the laity and even the religious who profess the evangelical counsels.But similar to all is the love of God.So to your question I say yes you don’t necessary have to sell all you have before you can live a simple life that is spiritual.Vocation priestly,religious or laity is a gift of God.So if your are a mom be a good mom there lies the spirituality.if you are a married woman be a good wife and if unmarried be a good single.In whatever form or state of life you belong the love of God and neighbour is the simple spirituality all christians are called to practice and live there also lies real life.

I don’t know if this veers off topic, correct me please if it does!
My husband works 40 hours a week at his regular job, comes
home and programs MacBusiness, Log Master, and Log in
Accounting. He is a busy man indeed! But, at the same time,
he manages to put God first in his life. He talks about God,
studies about Him, says his Rosary, prays, goes to Church
every Sunday, studies his Catechism, attends RCIA, and
reads his Bible everyday. I think with a full schedule, it is
certainly possible to live a very busy life and put God first.
Real life is not often simple. It is often very very busy. Such
as is the case in my home.

I think you got it right about your husband trying to meet up with his work schedule and at the same time his faith- practice.That is the simplicity in it.When I said real life is simple I meant when a person journeys with Christ.Afterall St. Paul said it is Christ that does the working in us not by any human strength.Remember the words of Christ “come to me all you that labour and overburden… for my yoke is easy and my burden light.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back