Does this 'quote' from Poor Clares brochure sound new-agey?

• Thread starter Thread starter Maryam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maryam

Hi Everyone,
I am thinking to discern whether I am cut out to become a part of the Secular Order of the Franciscans. I am far from being as faithful as I should be as a Catholic, but, imperfect a sinner as I am, I want to be a better Catholic.

Soooo, I like to ask for brochures or information packets of the various Franciscan communities near me as a good way to start this process.

I had received a brochure from one of the Poor Clares communities, but, there was one quote in it that made me alittle uneasy…

I feel uneasy because since I use to take part 4 or 5 years back in alot of new age stuff I definitely don’t want to be a part of a dissident community that goes against the teachings of the Church.

Anyways, here is the quote:

<<<<<"The poverty, minority and fraternal charity Franciscans claim to be manifestations of Franciscan life are simply the visible effects of what happens inside someone who is taking on Christ’s Consciousness.">>>>>>>

In no way do I want to speak falsehoods against my neighbor, but, this term “Christ Consciousness” is often used by New Agers and it threw me for a loop to see it used in a Poor Clares brochure.

Perhaps others in this forum can help me in my ignorance and show me if this term is being used correctly or not.

Thanks,

God bless

Maybe you can contact Mother Angelica’s Poor Clare community and ask for a referral to a good convent in your area.

Relax.

True New Agers do not mention Christ, in fact they want you to believe that you yourself are a god.

We are all told to take on Christ’s consciousness so that we become not only alter Christus but ipse Christus. not only another Christ but Christ himself.

There is nothing wrong here with the quote.

Relax.

• Shudder* The whole Christ Consciousness phrase reminds me of Christian Science or Hare Krishna… some New Thought movement at best…
Why can’t we stick to Latin terms and not feel uncomfortable? 😃

The poverty, minority and fraternal charity Franciscans claim to be manifestations of Franciscan life are simply the visible effects of what happens inside someone who is taking on Christ’s Consciousness.
The way I read this is translated:

The charisms of poverty, minority and fraternal charity that are common to the order of Franciscans, are not produced simply by becoming a Franciscan, but by “putting on the mind of Christ.” (St. Paul)

🙂 Carole

I am familiar with self Realization
fellowship, a semi-Hindu cult founded by Paramahansa Yogananda in the USA. He revered Jesus as a spiritual teacher, not as son of God. He always used the expression “Christ Consciousness.” This order you speak of sounds new-agey to me!

I think elsewhere in the New Testament it says, “but we have the mind of Christ.”

40.png
Kathie123:
I am familiar with self Realization
fellowship, a semi-Hindu cult founded by Paramahansa Yogananda in the USA. He revered Jesus as a spiritual teacher, not as son of God. He always used the expression “Christ Consciousness.” This order you speak of sounds new-agey to me!
Actually, Paramahansa Yoganananda didn’t teach that Jesus Christ was merely a spiritual teacher; rather, he taught that Jesus Christ is an incarnation of God, a Son of God. But since Yogananda also taught that Jesus was not the only incarnation, not the only Son of God, Yoganananda has come under criticism from many Christians. If you read Yogananda, you’ll see his love for Jesus Christ shine through, even if his theology is not orthodoxly Christian.

Most Poor Clare communities have websites from which you can get a good idea of what they are like.

www.poorclare.org and there is a drop down box with links to different communities.

SiennaPerhaps I will do that… In order for me to grow as a Catholic I need support and structure from a faithful community. thanks 🙂

FergalWell, even Satan can use scripture in order to make people stray from the faith. I have seen many New Agers use Christ’s name in referring to him as an Avatar, world teacher and so on… These days it is not so easy, especially for Catholics not well-versed in the faith to discern what is the truth from falsehood.

In this world, not so easy to relax… at least not for me. 😉

CaroleI wish that was the way I would have read it. 🙂

kodaThat is how I received the information through the Poor Clares links as well as from other Franciscan sites.

***I use to be into Yogananda :eek: and read quite a few times his “Autobiography of a Yogi”, he indeed was the one who coined the phrase “Christ Consciousness”… hence my apprehension in seeing it in a brochure for the Poor Clares.

God bless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back