Does vanity lead one to...hell?

• Thread starter Thread starter Heaveniswaiting
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Heaveniswaiting

I saw somewhere that vanity, such as wearing makeup and being too obsessed with your looks can land you in hell; but I would think that God would understand one wanting to take care of her or his appearance…I guess as long as its done in moderation right?

Vanity=pride? Deadly sin???

I think it is listed as one of the 7 deadly sins… I don’t know if they’re called 7 deadly sins. They might have a different name.

Lloyd, Gus. A Minute in the Church: Back to the Basics: One Minute Explanations About the Basics of the Faith - calls them Capital Sins.

Anyway, to answer you question… anything that becomes more important to you then serving the Lord, that takes you away from the Lord can lead you to be separated from the Lord. 😦

There is a difference between wanting to take care of your appearance and being vain.

Last edited:
Vanity would be like needing to be the prettiest in the room and getting mad because you werent

I saw somewhere that vanity, such as wearing makeup and being too obsessed with your looks can land you in hell; but I would think that God would understand one wanting to take care of her or his appearance…I guess as long as its done in moderation right?
All things in moderation. If you become so obsessed with your own looks that it essentially replaces God as the center of your universe, that’s sinful vanity.

Someone making a reasonable effort to look nice is not. If it was, we’d all be obligated to stop doing things like combing our hair or wearing anything other than nondescript burlap sacks.

“Vanity, definitely my favorite sin.” (The Devil’s Advocate)

God knows the heart. Looking presentable is one thing, but constantly trying to be the center of attention and seeking praise from others is quite another. So tread carefully. Like St Augustine said: humility makes men angels.

Vanity is to treat something as valuable or seriously important when it isnt.

Maintaining a respectable appearance is normal. In Introduction to the Devout Life, St Francis de Sales believed a person’s appearance should be clean and tidy but never grabbing for attention.

Peace.

Merriam-Webster, vainglory (noun)
1 : excessive or ostentatious pride especially in one’s achievements
2 : vain display or show: vanity
vanity (noun)
1 . inflated pride in oneself or one’s appearance: conceit
St. Thomas Aquinas:
Summa Theologiae > Second Part of the Second Part > Question 160. Modesty > Article 2. Whether modesty is only about outward actions?
… ordinary matters that require moderation. These seemingly are of four kinds. One is the movement of the mind towards some excellence, and this is moderated by “humility.” The second is the desire of things pertaining to knowledge, and this is moderated by “studiousness” which is opposed to curiosity. The third regards bodily movements and actions, which require to be done becomingly and honestly [Cf. II-II:145:1], whether we act seriously or in play. The fourth regards outward show, for instance in dress and the like.
Article 3. Whether vainglory is a mortal sin?
… a sin is mortal through being contrary to charity. Now the sin of vainglory, considered in itself, does not seem to be contrary to charity as regards the love of one’s neighbor: yet as regards the love of God it may be contrary to charity in two ways. …
https://www.newadvent.org/summa/3160.htm

Last edited:
The kind of “vanity” that might emerge in an average person’s moral life is probably venial at worst — a woman (or a man) blessed with an exceptionally pleasant appearance admiring themselves in the mirror and saying “darn, I look good, I’m the best!” instead of giving glory to Almighty God for having bestowed these gifts upon them. I really think it would be an awfully harsh God who would consign someone to hell for being a little “struck on herself (or himself)”. Nonetheless, it is a moral failing that could weaken the will, and could pave the way for far more serious sins.

Apologist at Catholic Answers, Fr Grondin, answered a similar question here:
40.png
Is makeup permissible ? Ask an Apologist
I’m wondering if it is ok for women to wear makeup and nail polish etc.?Im scared that it might be offensive to God because He created us in His image and it seems like we are trying to improve His creation.Im in need of help please.
Fr Callan and Fr McHugh also talk about this in their work “Moral Theology” (the work has the nihil obstat and imprimatur):

Modesty in Style of Living and Dress. (a) The Virtue.—External goods, such as dwellings and clothing, are necessary for body and soul, as a protection to health and decency; others, such as furnishings, decorations, ornaments, cars, radios, entertainments for guests, etc., are useful for convenience, beauty and the maintenance of one’s station. But one may be immoderate in the use of these goods, and hence there is need of a virtue to regulate their use, so that it may truthfully be in keeping with one’s position and be not offensive to others.

(b) The Sin of Excess.—This is committed when one’s style is extravagant according to the standards of the community, or when like Dives, clothed in purple and fine linen, one aims only at display or sensual gratification, or when one is too much preoccupied with externals (e.g., when too much time is spent before the mirror or too much money at the dressmaker’s). Dignitaries and the ministers of the altar are not guilty of excess in the pomp and splendor which the Church sanctions, since the honor is intended for their station and the divine worship they perform.

(c) The Sin of Defect.—This is committed when one’s mode of life is not up to the reasonable standard of one’s community, especially if this is due to negligence or itch for notoriety or disregard for decency. Examples are those who through carelessness go about unwashed or unshaven, who keep their quarters in a filthy and disorderly state, or who wear their clothing untidily; … nudists who appear undressed in public places, and cynics who scorn the conventions of refined society. It is not sinful, however, but a virtuous act of temperance, to wear simpler and poorer garments from the spirit of mortification and humility (Heb., xi. 37). The clergy and religious, since they should be models of the penitential spirit, are to be praised, therefore, when they give an example of plainness and simplicity in personal style and dress.

Morality of Self-Beautification.—Is it wrong to beautify oneself in order to improve one’s looks or to win admiration?

(a) In itself there is no harm, especially for females, in using means to improve one’s looks, such as remedies for deformities, facial paints, powders and cosmetics, hair waves and dyes, and the like. But accidentally there could be sin (e.g., deception). A poor man would be a deceiver if he lived in great style to make a woman believe he was wealthy, and likewise a woman would be a deceiver if she used an artificial beauty to deceive a man about her age.

continued….

Last edited:
(b) In itself also it is not sinful to desire that others approve one’s appearance and dress. Thus, a wife should strive to be attractive to her husband (I Cor., vii. 34), and modest ornamentation may be used to win a suitor (I Tim., ii. 9). It is mortally sinful, however, to attire oneself with the purpose or in a manner to arouse carnal temptation or to awaken sinful desire in others—for example, if one wishes to capture the sex love of others without marriage (Prov., vii. 10); it is venially sinful to groom oneself well from mere vanity, that is, from a silly ambition to be regarded as handsome and fashionable.

The sin is not about makeup, but what is behind the action, if one is putting makeup on because they do not like the way they have been created by God, this becomes the point of departure from focus on Gods eternal goodness. Some people i think would prefer to be invisible sometimes and in time we will be…

I enjoy cosmetics, in fact, I do not go out in public without it!

Vanity? No. This is how I am presenting the best version of my self.

I’ve seen vanity. I’ve seen people who cannot afford it, who are literally taking food from their children, to buy the latest expensive eye shadow palette or to have cosmetic procedures. People who consider only how they look to others and not the feelings of others.

Vanity in our modern parlance is a lot like Narcissism.

Hell is a state of permanent separation from God, and such a choice occurs in the context of our relationship with Him. Does putting on make-up distance you from God so much that you want nothing to do with Him? I highly doubt it!

Vanity is essentially a lack of humility. In its extreme, it’s placing ourselves on such a pedestal that we think we’re higher and better than God. An afternoon at the Clinique counter simply isn’t going to do that, nor will fifteen minutes applying make-up every morning.

Imho
It’s ok to wear a nice dress and use makeup and enhance your haircolor within a modest range.
I feel better to be put together and it can be a testimony to others. Same as staying in shape and tweezing eyebrows and shaving legs and wearing deodorant.
These things however are not important to God.

It becomes a problem when these are idols or
chips away at your humility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back