Doesn't the Multiverse Theory Undermine Freewill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willing_Spirit

I have heard some Catholics say that the multiverse theory is compatible with Catholicism. How can this be true? From my understanding, the multiverse theory asserts that every possible thing that could happen in fact does happen in one of an infinite number of universes. If there is an alternate version of each person making every possible choice you could make at any given moment causing the existence of every possible consequence of our actions, doesn’t that undermine freewill and our specialness? Also, how could we ever reach an “end” if there are an infinite number of universes? Wouldn’t one always continue? When and how could what we read in Revelations happen if there are infinite universes?

Last edited:
I suppose that it is possible that other universes exist, but I don’t see any experimental evidence for the multiverse theory.

There is none, which is why I don’t see the reason for creating space to entertain the idea. How could it be compatible with Catholicism?

No it doesn’t because those “alternate versions of you” are NOT you.

Also, that’s NOT the only hypothesis regarding the multiverse.

Last edited:
No it doesn’t because those “alternate versions of you” are NOT you.
Sure, but even if they have their own souls, it doesn’t really seem like God created us special out of love anymore if He has created an infinite number of people that look exactly the same making every choice we could possibly make. How could I believe there is a perfect plan, if everything that could happen is happening? Also, if everything that could happen is happening, you are destined to do whatever all of the other people that look like you aren’t doing, which means you aren’t choosing and have no freewill, you are bound by the dice roll of what your role is going to be in your universe to complete the “all possible yous” of the multiverse.

This is the explantion of the multiverse I’ve heard. Maybe there are others that are compatible, but I don’t understand how this understanding could be.

Last edited:
Sure, but even if they have their own souls, it doesn’t really seem like God created us special out of love anymore if He has created an infinite number of people that look exactly the same making every choice we could possibly make.
That’s the TV show version of multiverse, for entertainment value. In reality if such a thing is real most possible universes would likely be devoid of life, possibly devoid of any order whatsoever.

I do not think The Man in High Castle is necessarily compatible with actual multi-verse theories.

Really doesn’t matter it can’t be proven - although I know they think they might possibly collide and are looking for evidence of such a collision - even if there is evidence and I don’t think what they are looking for would be solid evidence that there is a multiverse we could never see or reach any of these universes - we can barely get to the moon.
Its an impossible theory to prove. Man has occupied such a small time frame of the universe - there probably would not be enough time in man’s existence to prove it - the light of distant galaxies have not even reached the earth yet and may not for millions of years - how could we possibly see evidence of universes colliding.
All it is is a theory nothing more and we don’t have the luxury of time or evidence to prove it.

The whole “multiverse” thing IMHO is a complete waste of time: there’s no shred of proof for it, and there can’t really exist a shred of proof. It’s a slightly fancier version of “how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?”

Father Robert Spitzer, PhD in physics and the retired president of Gonzaga University, addresses the topic well in many of his videos. They can be found on You Tube. For anyone interested I would recommend this one to start;

Last edited:
Hypotheticals cannot undermine anything Christian, because Christ is real. That’s the beauty of the incarnation. Philosophy, ethics, morality, all things are summed up in the person of Christ. And he is not an “if”, but a real “who”.
Hypotheticals are useful learning tools.

I wouldn’t waste synapses on this issue until there was empirical evidence in favor of the hypothesis. The same going for things like space aliens.

Human life is confusing enough.

ICX C NIKA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back