doing God's will

• Thread starter Thread starter jillisamarie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jillisamarie

Is it a sin not to do something if it is known that you are practicing doing the will of God. For example someone requests something just for the purpose of “making you do it” when they could do it themselves.Are you at the becon call of perhaps a non believer just so he/she can test you.

40.png
jillisamarie:
Is it a sin not to do something if it is known that you are practicing doing the will of God. For example someone requests something just for the purpose of “making you do it” when they could do it themselves.Are you at the becon call of perhaps a non believer just so he/she can test you.
Being a servant gets easyer with each fullfilled duty.

Seems to me that a sin is something contrary to the Will of God, not the will of another person (except in certain circumstances, like the parent-child relationship or other real authority). I think it could be a sin not to help a person in need, but no, I don’t think you’re required to be a doormat, nor are you required to allow yourself to be manipulated.

…just my opinion, though. 🙂

Beaver and ChrisW - Both Great reply’s, I agree(that’s not what makes them great;) however)

There is turth in both - the hard part is finding the right path. There is a tension there, between the two. Where ever your heart and mind lead you to - then that is, in my opinion, the way God is leading you. If however, the mind and heart disagree - pray for understanding and a resolved spirit between the two. We are to put on the Mind of Christ and Act with the Heart of Christ. We need both. Seek out why they are in disagreement and resolve it - there you will find the Way!

40.png
Dismas2004:
Beaver and ChrisW - Both Great reply’s, I agree(that’s not what makes them great;) however)

There is turth in both - the hard part is finding the right path. There is a tension there, between the two. Where ever your heart and mind lead you to - then that is, in my opinion, the way God is leading you. If however, the mind and heart disagree - pray for understanding and a resolved spirit between the two. We are to put on the Mind of Christ and Act with the Heart of Christ. We need both. Seek out why they are in disagreement and resolve it - there you will find the Way!
Not without properly formed conscience can we make such decisions.

I am not sure I understand this question. Do you mean that any request from anyone, that is not directly contrary to God’s law, you should drop everything and do it, no matter who asks you? Does not make too much sense, even Christ talked about setting priorities, calculating the cost of a project and planning properly. First you carry out duty to God and Church, then to your family, then your job according to your state in life, and then to neighbor. For instance, you would not leave your children unattended in order to drive a neighbor to the hospital. You would either call an ambulance or a babysitter.

If you are in a situation where obedience is part of your life, such as in a religious order, you obey every command by a superior, even if you don’t understand it, unless it is contrary to the commandments and precepts of the Lord. It is part of your discipline and growth in humility. We are under the authority of the Church and obey its just lawful commands and teachings, whether or not we understand or agree.

40.png
Beaver:
Not without properly formed conscience can we make such decisions.
Hence, the reason why the MIND must be the Mind of Christ. Sorry I didn’t make that clear, I assumed the Mind of Christ would be properly formed.😉

When we put on the Mind of Christ and have the Heart of Christ, we will be one with Christ and act as Christ would!!!

40.png
jillisamarie:
just for curiosity, how did it “become known” that you are practicing doing the will of God? Have you shared this resolution with someone close to you who is using your good intentions to manipulate you? It is the very good advice of the great spiritual writers and saints never to make a resolution such as this without the direction and permission of your spiritual director or confessor, and you spiritual life is not something you share casually with those around you. REad the Story of a Soul by St. Therese (or watch the movie, premiering this week, and then get the book) to see how someone practiced the will of God every moment of her life, without those she lived with having any inkling of what she was doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back