Dominican rosary?

• Thread starter Thread starter green7
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

green7

I attended Mass today and we recited the Rosary. But the beginning and end was different from the usual Rosary I pray. Afterwards the person leading the Rosary said that at this parrish we say the Dominican Rosary. My question is what is it? Where can I find it? It starts out with a Hail Mary instead of the Creed.

I attend a Domincan parish and we say the Rosary the same way all the other Catholics I know say it. Perhaps the person who proclaimed the Rosary you were saying as “Dominican,” I would venture to say that they were referring to St Dominic’s Rosary, which is the Rosary well-known to modern Catholics. I have never heard our priests mention that there is a special Dominican way of saying the Rosary, but I will ask one of them this coming Sunday!

When I was in the seminary with the Dominican Order, I learned that they have a tradition of saying the Rosary that is slightly different than what most Catholics do. (We called the latter the “Roman” Rosary, but I don’t know if it is its “official” name.) The Dominican version begins by making the Sign of the Cross while saying the first half of the Hail Mary, then the verse/response for the beginning of the Divine Office, and finally the Glory be.

Leader: Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Response: Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
L: O Lord, open my lips.
R: And my mouth will declare your praise.
L: O God, come to my assistance.
R: O Lord, make haste to help me.
L: Glory be . . .
R: As it was . . .

Then the leader announces the first mystery. What is also slightly different is that the leader and group/congregation alternate parts thoughout the Rosary: the leader says the first part of the Our Father’s, Hail Mary’s and Glory be’s for the first, third and fifth mysteries, while the group says the first parts of the prayers for the second and fourth mysteries. The Dominican Rosary ends with the same prayers. I still pray the Rosary this way by myself.

Someone once offered the explanation for the different tradition by saying that it was shorter, and we Dominicans had to get back to our study and preaching, but I doubt that was the real reason. More likely, this tradition of saying the Rosary is older and so simpler, and has monastic elements. The “Roman” Rosary added the other prayers at the beginning over the course of time.

Other religious orders do have their own “chaplets” which may be variations of the Rosary, or entirely different sets of prayers and meditations. The Franciscans have theirs (though I don’t know much about it) and the Servites have a chaplet with (I believe) seven sets of seven beads on which they meditate on the seven sorrows of Our Lady.

Your explanation sounds like some info I found on the internet recently.(It took more time then I thought it would). Thanks for the confirmation. I also learned that because the rosary is a private devotion a person can modify if they like. I assume that if prayed in a group the more common recitation is used. I love learning new things about the Catholic faith.

40.png
aridite:
Then the leader announces the first mystery. What is also slightly different is that the leader and group/congregation alternate parts thoughout the Rosary: the leader says the first part of the Our Father’s, Hail Mary’s and Glory be’s for the first, third and fifth mysteries, while the group says the first parts of the prayers for the second and fourth mysteries. The Dominican Rosary ends with the same prayers. I still pray the Rosary this way by myself.
Interesting…this is how we pray the Rosary, didnot realize it has to do with Dominican.

40.png
aridite:
When I was in the seminary with the Dominican Order, I learned that they have a tradition of saying the Rosary that is slightly different than what most Catholics do. (We called the latter the “Roman” Rosary, but I don’t know if it is its “official” name.) The Dominican version begins by making the Sign of the Cross while saying the first half of the Hail Mary, then the verse/response for the beginning of the Divine Office, and finally the Glory be.

Leader: Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Response: Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
L: O Lord, open my lips.
R: And my mouth will declare your praise.
L: O God, come to my assistance.
R: O Lord, make haste to help me.
L: Glory be . . .
R: As it was . . .

Someone once offered the explanation for the different tradition by saying that it was shorter, and we Dominicans had to get back to our study and preaching, but I doubt that was the real reason. More likely, this tradition of saying the Rosary is older and so simpler, and has monastic elements. The “Roman” Rosary added the other prayers at the beginning over the course of time.

Other religious orders do have their own “chaplets” which may be variations of the Rosary, or entirely different sets of prayers and meditations. The Franciscans have theirs (though I don’t know much about it) and the Servites have a chaplet with (I believe) seven sets of seven beads on which they meditate on the seven sorrows of Our Lady.
Wow, thank you for this info! I never knew this about the Dominicans! This is very interesting, and even though I am in a Dominican parish I have never heard the Rosary prayed this way yet. Maybe the priests only do it amongst themselves. I will have to ask them about it. I love the Dominican priests and their homilies, especially! They are great preachers, hence the OP after their names! (Order of Preachers) I am going to have to learn how to say the Rosary this way. Thank you so much for posting this for us! and God bless you, of course! 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back