Duty to Witness?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Giovanna
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Giovanna

Guest
Today, I was spending some time in a neighborhood in Queens. On the street, I passed by two young guys who were dressed in clothes one might associate with inner-city culture, and were swaggering quickly down the street, two abreast and cussing.

I wanted to attempt to witness to them somehow, but was afraid for my physical safety.

All I did was pray for them after I got onto the subway.

Did I commit a mortal sin, by neglecting their souls?
 
Some may disagree, but quite apart from the physical safety issue, I think sometimes it’s possible to fairly accurately guess that saying something to a person will do no earthly good anyway - or worse still, incite worse behaviour.

I think praying for them is fine.
 
Today, I was spending some time in a neighborhood in Queens. On the street, I passed by two young guys who were dressed in clothes one might associate with inner-city culture, and were swaggering quickly down the street, two abreast and cussing.

I wanted to attempt to witness to them somehow, but was afraid for my physical safety.

All I did was pray for them after I got onto the subway.

Did I commit a mortal sin, by neglecting their souls?
“Do not throw your pearls before swine. They will trample them at best and may attack you as well.”

From the Sermon on the mount.

Having a thought to admonish the sinner is a good thing. Jesus advises not following up on that impulse if they do not seem likely to accept your words and if the threat of violence seems possible.

Maybe try it when you are in a position to speak without fear for your own safety. Otherwise, saying a prayer seems like the best course.

Jim
 
Giovanna,

Hello and welcome to the Catholic Answers Forums. I hope you have a blessed and fruitful time here.

You’ve already received a couple of excellent answers here which I agree with completely.

“Witnessing” is a lot more than just speaking to people about the Gospel. St. Francis once said, “Preach the Gospel continuously; use words when you have to.” How we live our lives is our first and loudest witness.
  • Liberian
 
I agree with all of the answers so far.

I just wanted to add an anecdote about a family of JW’s who were traveling near here a few years back. They had stopped at a rest stop during their travels and the children saw some young “goth” type people and decided to witness to them. Apparently the “goths” didn’t take to kindly to what they were saying because they killed the whole family: Father, mother, two children and an infant. 😦

You were right to pray for them and watch out for your safety. You were not denying Jesus in any way by doing that. You did not neglect their souls because you prayed for them. Many people wouldn’t have even done that much!

God Bless!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top